Car trouble...Alternator?

J0ne

LVC Member
Reaction score
2000 cartier L, have a system installed, I was driving check trac came on... stayed on...car felt like it was hesitating allot( probly the trac switching on) then all the lights on the dash turned on, steering wheel got really hard to turn as well as the breaks. Never had any trouble...no recent upgrades to the system...wondering if i need a high output alternator.

OK, I would REALLY like some input from anyone that has any clue what my trouble may be. When i drive the check trac light comes on pretty consistantly. The car will "hesitate" its realy the trac controll coming on when it is not supost to, and the light will then turn on. When this happens the temp gauge shuts off, and drops to 0. The whole car loosing power happened again, so in a month its happened twice. Could it be the Traction controll module? any help would be great.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the symptoms you descrbe are consistent with ECM failure. Either that or you have a heck of an electrical gremlin. I think that if it was any part of the traction control/abs system, you would simply get a warning light on the dash, not get a full dash illumination.
I would try some things first, such as cleaning the contacts of all abs wheel sensors and abs module with electrical contact cleaner. Also try finding out if you ECM has any stored codes.
Hope this helps.

took her into a trusted auto electric shop in town...Turns out it was ALL caused by the cruise controll....best i can understand, the part in the cruise that regulates the voltage was only allowing 4 volts through, and shorting everything else out, and causing problems all over the place. He replaced that, replaced a couple fuses that had blown..badabing, good as new. and much cheaper than getting a new ECU.

I am glad it was not the ECM. Now you need to work the Cruise Control repeatedly to verify its proper operation.
A couple of roadtrips would help you with that :)

Members online

Back