Car starting issues

Locc

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a problem getting my car (1987 Lincoln Town Car 5.0L) to start and I was hoping you all could give me some advice.

I'll try to sum this up the best I can to make it short.

The car was running great, drove it as normal one day and then the next it would not start.

As of today the car will sometimes start, sometimes not but usually it will start. If I let it run and stop it it will not start when I try to restart. I have to wait anywhere from 2 minutes to 2 days for it to restart.

I have replaced:
Fuel pump
Fuel filter
Distributor
Cap
Rotor
Wires
Coil
Starter Solenoid
Fuel Relay
Ignition Switch

None of these has stopped the problem. Since the distributor has been repeatedly messed with the timing could be an issue, although I don't believe it to be the issue, but I could be wrong.

I have 2 videos I have taken of me working with the car.

The first shows me trying to crank it after it running for a few minutes and the sounds it makes during the crank. The second shows the car starting, me checking the timing (which seems to be ok, though possibly a few degrees off), checking the sound of the exhaust, and showing the engine shake that wasn't present before this issue began.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Vid 1
Car not starting - YouTube

Vid 2
1987 Lincoln Town car not starting 2. - YouTube

Last edited:
Did you try replacing the starter????

-ryan s.

No I haven't.

Noone has mentioned replacing the starter.

As far as cranking goes, there has been no change between when it was running normal and now other than the intermitten starts.

The way it cranks hasn't changed as far as sound or response.

Why should I change the starter?

He might think it's dragging and when it gets warm they do drag more. I kind of doubt from the description it's your problem.

When it doesn't start have you checked to see if you still have spark at the plug ??

Check fuel pump relay and ecu relay
Also possible ecu
Just some ideas.

When not starting check spark and fuel
Another think could be the timing gears
They were nylon my 84 would start intermittently for about a month before it wouldn't start at all cause all the teeth were gone

Members online

No members online now.
Back