Car is beeping at me...

EmpireSix

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Interior chime dings 5 times then shuts off for a couple seconds and repeats that 4 more times. so its 25 chimes in a minute or so. It only does this about once every week or so but it's pretty annoying. Anyone know what it's trying to tell me since it wont display any codes or warnings of any sort? Thanks guys

yea that would be a code 54 (five dings, pause, four dings), im sure some body will "chime" in to tell what the code is for.

It means that your SRS (airbag) light is not working, and you have an SRS fault. (This is even in your owner's manual.) It's five sets of five beeps.

It's odd that it doesn't do it all the time. Maybe its your clockspring just starting to fail. If you can fix the SRS light, then you could know by the code that it flashes out.

It means that your SRS (airbag) light is not working, and you have an SRS fault. (This is even in your owner's manual.) It's five sets of five beeps.

It's odd that it doesn't do it all the time. Maybe its your clockspring just starting to fail. If you can fix the SRS light, then you could know by the code that it flashes out.

I was thinking this.. BUT my clockspring failed a while ago and I can see my airbag light on. If it is related then it must not be getting the signal that it is showing my airbag light on my dash eh? Guess I'll just go get the dang clockspring fixed, I keep pushing it off... Lazy LS owner

My car did the same thing when my clockspring was bad. I changed the clockspring and no more beeping. Change it out and I bet it stops.

It is telling you the air bag light is burnt out it will do this every half an hour as long as the key hasn't been turned off.

It is telling you the air bag light is burnt out it will do this every half an hour as long as the key hasn't been turned off.

Seriously?? That's why car car chimes all the time with no light and no code my scanner can read?? That's crap, why doesn't it set a code so I would know why it's chiming and I could fix it?

Seriously?? That's why car car chimes all the time with no light and no code my scanner can read?? That's crap, why doesn't it set a code so I would know why it's chiming and I could fix it?

It does set a code (probably more than one). Generic OBDII scanners can't read SRS codes. They can read very few of the codes that various systems on the car might have. You need a manufacturer (Ford in this case) specific code reader to get the SRS codes, body codes, climate codes, advanced engine codes, and so on. AFAIK, this applies to all OBDII cars.

It does set a code (probably more than one). Generic OBDII scanners can't read SRS codes. They can read very few of the codes that various systems on the car might have. You need a manufacturer (Ford in this case) specific code reader to get the SRS codes, body codes, climate codes, advanced engine codes, and so on. AFAIK, this applies to all OBDII cars.

Pisses me off, I buy a expensive MAC scan tool and it won't even do everything my car requires...BS!!

Clockspring for sure, had the same problem in my 2002 LS, i used to beat the dash up every morning i hated the beeping. I lost use of my horn and my radio controls were screwed, replaced the clockspring and everything was back to normal.

Interior chime dings 5 times then shuts off for a couple seconds and repeats that 4 more times. so its 25 chimes in a minute or so. It only does this about once every week or so but it's pretty annoying. Anyone know what it's trying to tell me since it wont display any codes or warnings of any sort? Thanks guys
My 2002 LS V8 has the same problems. Beeps 5 sets of 5 beeps. The AirBag light does not light at all. The cruise control is inop, the horn is inop, and the audio controls don't work right. I will be replacing the clockspring tomorrow. I will let you know how everything works.

Could be mileage discrepancy

I've heard if you change your instrument cluster to one with a different mileage reading, it will cause the beeping...

In fact it could be a sign of an odometer rollback via instrument cluster change.

I've heard if you change your instrument cluster to one with a different mileage reading, it will cause the beeping...

In fact it could be a sign of an odometer rollback via instrument cluster change.

The five sets of five beep is for an SRS fault (with the fault light not working), and only for that.

The improperly changed cluster alarm is different, and has nothing to do with the mileage. Only the cluster knows how many miles the car has traveled. The cluster knows it doesn't match the car because it hasn't been correctly "married" to the PCM. This marriage involves the exchange of some "secret" numbers.

So I know for sure my clock spring is bad, and my car has randomly done this as long as I've had it. But yesterday the light went out n it beeps every time now.

Now it's beeping at you to tell you a warning light is burned out

I assume that's what you meant by "the light went out" as opposed to turning off. If it doesn't turn on when you first turn the key to Run, the bulb is burned out

Yeah thats what i meant. And yeah it doesnt come on at all. If i fix the clock spring but not the light will it still beep? Probably a stupid question. I just ask because you said its beeping to tell me the lights out.

You'll still have to disassemble the cluster to replace the bulb because both the bulb and the airbag issue are both beepable faults

Members online

No members online now.
Back