Car dies while idling in park

Susan Towles

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I changed the valve cover gaskets on my 2002 V8, yes i put back in the same COPs in same cylinder they came out of. Car did not have this problem before changing the valve cover gasket. I triple checked that everything is reconnected. I'm at a loss can someone help me with some ideas?

Unfortunately, this is not really enough to go on. Best guess at this time is that there is a disconnected or cracked vacuum tube or hose.
Also, make sure all the COP connectors are latched in. They break pretty easily. Is the check engine light flashing?

Unfortunately, this is not really enough to go on. Best guess at this time is that there is a disconnected or cracked vacuum tube or hose.
Also, make sure all the COP connectors are latched in. They break pretty easily. Is the check engine light flashing?
No the CEL isn't flashing or even on. It will run for a little bit super rough then just cuts out and shuts off.

You could try unplugging the MAF. If that allows it to not stall at idle (will still be rough), then it would point to air/vacuum leak.

With the car running when I unplug the MAF the car stalls when I start it back up without the MAF plugged in car runs better than with it plugged in. Would the mean the MAF is bad?

Generally speaking, don't ever unplug the MAF with the engine running. Unplug it with the engine off, then start the engine.

Your results indicate that the engine is getting a different (more, probably) amount of air than the MAF is telling it. With it unplugged, the PCM goes to some (mostly safe) default assumptions about how much air it is getting.

So, yes it could be that the MAF is bad. However, it is more likely that you have an air leak somewhere from a cracked tube or disconnected hose. I say this since MAF failures are fairly rare and you said that you just replaced valve cover gaskets. That job involves disconnecting and moving some brittle PCV tubes and hoses. If you have a propane torch, turn the gas on, but don't light it. Now with the engine running, pass it all along the top of the engine where those tubes and hoses are. If you get a change in engine speed/sound, then you have found a leak.

I had already did the carb cleaner method ( I know its dangerous with car running) i did not come across any changes in engine speed. I know the MAF is sensitive and I did remove the entire air cleaner system to get access. I will change the MAF and go from there. I'll keep you posted thank you for your help.

Members online

No members online now.
Back