Car Dies & ETC FAILSAFE MODE

KevinACrider

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I accellerated tonight right off the bat it kicked into ETC FAILSAFE MODE and the tranny light came on. I reset the car and it was able to drive a little further. I drove about 15 miles, no problems at all except slight hesitation on inclines. It did die when I got the my destination. I'm resetting the computer now to remove the light but I think it's more than that. I did a search and someone with a similar problem was told coils. Would this be my first guess? Like I said, when it drives, it runs perfectly besides a slight hesitation.

it could also be the TPS ( throttle postion sensor ) .Mine went and it did similiar things

You should get a CEL; get the codes read and you will have a better idea what to look for.

I didn't get a CEL. I reset the battery and drove it home and the tranny light never came on but the ETC FAILSAFE message came on and the car died when I pulled out of my in-laws driveway.

Car Dies & ETC FAILSAFE MODE SOLUTION

I had the same problem for several months and thousands of dollars of warr. service. They finally had a power train system engineer come in from Detroit to find solution. come to find out it was intermittent faults in the ignition coils 4 of them in fact. These must be removed from the car and be "load Tested" as they only fail under high loading. ie highRPM or high power demand.

I have since received notification from ford that they are extending the warranty on the coils under CSP 07M07 and 07N09. These Customer Satisfaction Programs will warranty the items to 100,000 or 10years. I can email you a copy of the letter if you need it but any ford or Lincoln dealer should be able to look up the program by those numbers..

There is also a program on the Throttle body that they will want to do first..
I would have them check the coils at that time the TB is a good repacement as the new one seems to operate a lot more smooth than the previous unit.

Will they only replace these items if they deem it worthy or will they do it just if I ask? I have an 03 with only 57,000 miles.

They only replaced one of mine that was bad, and the passenger side valve cover, under that program. Don't think you're gonna be able to get them to change them all.

I'm not worried about them changing them all as long as they change the ones that need changed. Now say I have them fix it tomorrow and another coil goes bad, am I still covered until 100,000/10years or is it 1 time only?

Wow, you mean that FORD recently put out a Customer Satisfation on the coils? The Dealer just replaced #5 last week due to the valve cover gaskets leaking onto the coil. Do youthink this would be covered and I can get some money back?

Email me the letter. PBSLMO@sbcglobal.net.

Thanks

I'm talking with the dealership right now and they said if they can't replicate the problem I gotta pay the diagnostic charge. I bet I'm going to get screwed right there.

If you have an '03 V8 that was built in the time frame that they specified, you're covered and should have received a letter. '03 is the only year. Everyone else is assed out, unfortunately.

I posted scans of my letter on here. I'll post the link in a few when I search for it.

If you have an '03 V8 that was built in the time frame that they specified, you're covered and should have received a letter. '03 is the only year. Everyone else is assed out, unfortunately.

I posted scans of my letter on here. I'll post the link in a few when I search for it.

04+, most should still be under original warranty.

I just called Ford and told them I just experienced this on my '00 and paid out the ass. She took my complaint and said someone may contact me. More people need to call and complain.

I just called ford to complain that this does not cover the 2000 LS. what is described in 07M07 is exactly what happened to my car. The dealer said there was oil on coil #5, leaking from the valve cover gasket. Had to replace 5 boots, 6 spark plug, 2 gaskets, cost $1467.00. Sylvia (ford rep) said she documented the complaint, and maybe someone would call me. We need more people to call and complain in order to get a recall/refund going.

Members online

No members online now.
Back