Car Died on the highway. Won't stay running, maybe my tc locked up as well?

sounds like a plugged cat, causing other problems. ive seen plugged cats cause the egr pipe to blow open, melt the egr sensor, blow out exhaust manifold gaskets etc. basically when the cat plugs the exhaust has to go out somewhere

Yeah chicken that makes sense. I'm still battling the dourpouring in RI. Tomorrow should be fine. I have to refill the coolant system seeing that I overheated, lets see if I can get the crossover cap off and re-fill it. I think that code 582 fan circuit open is something to look into, oh well love/hate relationship shows up!

Oh and I'd need a little insight about the egr tube, I'll do a few more searches and read through the manual to see whats up.

http://supercoupeperformance.com/partBrowser.aspx?partId=159 2.5" for the cats? I'm prepared to buy 2 of these, 02s, and just dump the car to an exhaust shop and let them figure out the details. If it is the egr/egr tube I'd like to see if I can't do it myself, and then maybe I can drive it somewhere

My 94 acted very similarly Rev., but only once - in cold weather about last year November. Was parked till spring, and worked fine after.

Guys, could cold weather affect Rev's problems?

Mine also 'died', could only do about 5mph till next exit (on shoulder), stank, smelled rotten, felt like the TC was locked, etc.

NOTHING has been 'fixed', but the problem went away on it's own after sitting.

Could that be loose material in the cats?

I am sorry to hijack ya Rev, but your symptoms are too familiar.

No problem Kevin, the more people that chime in the better. Right now its not being used. The weather wasn't cold when it did this. I have a few pics of the cats I took from underneath, nothing looks like its leaking or anything. I am however curious as to how an exhaust shop could/should replace my cats. The ones on scp are cheap enough that I don't mind buying em. However, I'd like to get some more info on the egr tube, and the 2 egr codes I'm pulling with my scanner. I'll pm turborich because he's done it before. I wanna take care of the egr problems before I address the exhaust. Also....I broke off my 1/4 socket in my crossover tube, so I can't fill my coolant. How do I get this thing off, visegrips?

Rev the exhaust could be causing the egr codes. If the cats are original with the car you are due for new ones, remember those are gold at a scrap yard so don't let the shop keep the old ones, yes vise grips maybe the only way

a pipe wrench, you just need to realize the part of the cap you can grab onto is only about the thickness of a quarter (look close you'll see) just dont twist off the entire piece

Yeah I took a dremel to it. I'm gonna buy a new cap somewhere or rig something together. I ran out of cutoff wheels so I'm done for the night.

Time to order all of my parts though. For the cats what size should I get? I want 2.5" piping, but I'm not sure of what diameter the pipe is between cats and manifold. Is it 2"? Because if so that makes the most sense to get 2", right?

Bought 2 02 sensors and 2 2.5" cats from SCP. I'm figuring that I can just have someone hack the old cats out, replace the 02s while they're gone, run a little piping and then weld in the new 2.5" cats, and start my exhaust from there.

Members online

Back