Capacitor charging/Distribution Question

gkatmar said:
I recently purchased a stinger expert series capacitor (SC241MDX):http://www.avcarexpo.com/481.html

I was wondering if anyone new if I would be able to hook up two amps to this or would I need to buy another distribution block for it? Thanks

You can hook up 2 amps but A) you do need another distribution block for it B) A each amp should have it's own cap. a 1 farad cap is made for an amp up to like 700- 1000 watts peak. All a cap is, is another battery that despers it's energy all at once and not little by little like a battery. So I would say you would be better getting another one or even try a 2 farad or even a 1 1/2 farad

gkatmar said:
I recently purchased a stinger expert series capacitor (SC241MDX):http://www.avcarexpo.com/481.html

I was wondering if anyone new if I would be able to hook up two amps to this or would I need to buy another distribution block for it? Thanks

It was on the web page you posted, "Built-in power distribution allows connection of up to two 1/0 gauge positive and two 1/0 gauge negative power cables."

pdzcallday said:
You can hook up 2 amps but A) you do need another distribution block for it B) A each amp should have it's own cap. a 1 farad cap is made for an amp up to like 700- 1000 watts peak. All a cap is, is another battery that despers it's energy all at once and not little by little like a battery. So I would say you would be better getting another one or even try a 2 farad or even a 1 1/2 farad

I have one Alpine T420 amp that is powering my components at arond 50 watts rms. My other amp powers my sub which is an Alpine MRD-M500 which is about 500 watts RMS. Should I just hook up my sub amp to the cap?

pdzcallday said:

this is so true and everyone mis-understands the point of these are when your in a compation and you need to hit the first note (bass db) the cap stores up this energy for you to unleash on the first 2-3 secs of the db drag. they look cool and i have one so i cant say its pointless just know that its for short periods of time.

Not Quite

Capacitors in an auto sound system are actually used to provide a constant amount of current to the amps so as not to have a voltage drop. They are especially good in todays lower wattage, highre amperage amps. It is the quality of the current that has a more direct effect on the sound level and quality than the amount of raw wattage that you are pushing. If you want decibles, push wattage. If you want quality push amperage.

Capacitors are used in several different ways in electronic circuits:

* Sometimes, capacitors are used to store charge for high-speed use. That's what a flash does. Big lasers use this technique as well to get very bright, instantaneous flashes.

* Capacitors can also eliminate ripples. If a line carrying DC voltage has ripples or spikes in it, a big capacitor can even out the voltage by absorbing the peaks and filling in the valleys.

Like a Water Tower
One way to visualize the action of a capacitor is to imagine it as a water tower hooked to a pipe. A water tower "stores" water pressure -- when the water system pumps produce more water than a town needs, the excess is stored in the water tower. Then, at times of high demand, the excess water flows out of the tower to keep the pressure up. A capacitor stores electrons in the same way, and can then release them later.

Members online

Back