Cant get out of first! vaccum leak or what?!

Brian Williams

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas. I thought I was doing the tranny some good by changing the fluid and the filter. After dropping the pan and seeing at least an inch of mud and the filter disintegrated.

However, I now here a loud "hiss" right next to the gear shifter where a green, lets call it a "gizmo" seems to have a worn o ring. Can it be that simple or should I toe tag it and just get a new tranny. Help!

my stats

Lincoln mark VII 302 with 4 spead AOD transmisson with a 3:27 ratio if i am not mistaken, could it also be the modulator or solinoid.

Hey Brian.
Since you have a 1984, I'd say to check all vacuum connections first, else I'd try the throttle body bushing found on our 1986s - 1992s.

Have you disconnected the battery lately? Your EEC may have to unlearn, what it has learned :)

JD

What is it doing that it won't go out of first? First thing to do is park the car beofer any damage is done, or any more for that matter. Check the bushing like John suggested. Did you flush the transmission, or just drop the pan, replace the filter, and top off? What all did you do with the pan off? Fix the vacuum leak and the bushing, then get back to us.

Where is the bushing?

thanks for the tips I will get on that asap. What about this?

Also quick question. I also found a METAL (VERY LOOSE) line last night running from the transmission up to the passanger side engine compartment. it then just stops mid way the valve cover, turns to rubber and then to a small L shaped plastic piece? It is running directly under the AC hoses coming from the fire wall..if that helps.

It seems to have connected to something? I then opened up the grouping of vaccum hoses in that proximity and found a black vaccum line that ran towards the front of the car but not back to the fire wall.

Do these belong to one another? Or is that metal line supposed to hook to the manifold? or not? it seems to have been the only thing it could have connected to. So I tried connecting them and it seemed to make it worse? (the hissing by the shiffter) maybe it is clogged?
Thanks for the help!

Oh to answer your question too.. I just dropped the pan cleaned it out completly, with a new gasket, filter and fluid.

JoshMcMadMac said:
No, you'll need to trace the vacuum leak to figure that one out.
Brian's car is a 1984.
He's going to check the automatic emergency brake release vacuum line and the fluid level in the tranny (based on a tech article).

JD

hello

I have the same problems - hissing and shifter sticking.

I agree with OldSchool 1 about automatic E-brake release. I've read this on several other forums.

I got stuck in reverse once had to leave car overnight. Next day took everything apart - only way to start car was disconnect shifter linkage to steering column. Hit selector linkage underneath car with bar, then I was able to take out of reverse.

Since then it gets stuck sometimes in D or reverse - I have to pump foot brake while fiddling with shifter then it changes -

So maybe the 2 problems are linked somewhere (I haven't changed AOD filter but I grounded the car on speed bumps so maybe is that linkage)

I just got my 1984 Continental/Mark VII (gas and diesel) EVTM supplemt! Woo Hoo!

The next time the weather is above 40, I'm playing with cars!

I just found my saving angel! A mark VII for 150.00!

My saving grace was this evening when I couldnt figure out how to get my car out of first gear! I have traced followed and screwed with about everything but dropping the damn thing off a cliff. {i would never}

Anyway I about pissed my pants when i saw a (pretty weathered) 84 mark VII on the side of the road that said "runs good" 200.00! I stopped and checked it out and besides some bad carpet and upolstry it has everything mine could use to fix my car completly.
I think i am going to buy it and try to swap tranny's if it runs. Whatcha think guys?

Brian Williams said:
My saving grace was this evening when I couldnt figure out how to get my car out of first gear! I have traced followed and screwed with about everything but dropping the damn thing off a cliff. {i would never}

Anyway I about pissed my pants when i saw a (pretty weathered) 84 mark VII on the side of the road that said "runs good" 200.00! I stopped and checked it out and besides some bad carpet and upolstry it has everything mine could use to fix my car completly.
I think i am going to buy it and try to swap tranny's if it runs. Whatcha think guys?

I think that is a good price on a running car. However you will be hard pressed to fix the problem with your car without troubleshooting to figure out what is actually wrong with it.

Brian Williams said:
said "runs good" 200.00!
Owning a parts car is ALWAYS a good idea for Lincoln MArk VII owners. You may even discover that it's a perfectly good SECOND car :)

Buy it.

Tranny fluid and vaccum lines check out.

Hey guys I checked both lines and they seem fine. However that shift column linkage "seems" to be loose at the shifter assembly. The problem is I have no previous knowledge as I am trouble shooting and have no mesurement to use as a base line. So I may have already passed over the problem not realizing what it is.

I will admit I am no mechanic and the most I have done up to this was drive my car to jiffy lube!

I really want to get this fixed so let me just back up a sec. When I bought this car last year the tranny has ALWAYS had a hard time shifting. I have always had to "help it" shift by lifting of the gas momentarily in second gear.

I really started getting into the car and fixing the engine to run properly, tune up etc. about 3 months ago and have done everything i could to get everything working mechaniclly (with my limited knowledge and hit and miss strategy). new alternator, air bags, hoses battery wires, plugs, air, and so on. however I never really messed with the tranny until i droped the pan cleaned it out, replaced the gasket and topped it off. I guess i could dump some thicker tranny fluid in? type d maybe (tip from old school). I also unpluged the battery thinking it could be the eec. but still no 2nd gear.

The throttle bushing also seems to be attached correctly but does it attach to the tranny or the shift column from the Trottle Body?

I really dont know where or why it could be slipping and I have checked the vacuum lines internally so could it be something else minor or maybe it needs a rebuild.

If you had the options i have with the purchase of the other Mark for 150.00. (runs good) would you yank the current tranny and use the one that currently works or do you think i would have the same issues if a leak is the problem? Can i hook it up to a machine and find out exactly what is wrong or do I need to continue to trouble shoot? Any other suggestions were else it could be leaking from?

I need to get this running as I already gave up the super stelth "mini Van" to the wife and kiddies. imput please!

I fixed the hissing sound in my car:
removed vacuum block (attached to side of shifter)
noticed crack in case between 2 of the 3 hose ports
covered crack up with glue
reinstalled
now autobrake release works and no annoying hissing in drive

rustic302 said:
I fixed the hissing sound in my car:
removed vacuum block (attached to side of shifter)
noticed crack in case between 2 of the 3 hose ports
covered crack up with glue
reinstalled
now autobrake release works and no annoying hissing in drive
The green thingy :)

Congratulations.

Shame you didn't take any pictures.

I should have taken some pictures because my green thingy is black, and the coupling that plugs into the hose ports is a kinda amber colour - maybe I'll take it apart again and take some photos.

(and the coupling that plugs into the hose ports is a kinda amber colour)

Sorry yours is amber mine is beige

Members online

No members online now.
Back