Cant find torque specs for my gen 2 v6 valve covers

MysticMac

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So Im assuming this is the bolt pattern diagram I should be going by when torquing my valve covers down ? this is only the drivers side and its from a 2000 v6 .... I have a 2005 v6. should I go by this? I cant find the diagram for the valve covers on either side for a gen 2 v6? 2000 valve cover torque.gif

2000 valve cover torque.gif

valve cover #2.gif

on the gen 1 v8 its 89 inch pounds. it might be the same for yours maybe damn just seen the dia. of the gen 1

It's that same as you show in my gen II manual. Passenger side is symmetrical to the driver's side. Do take care that this is in-lbs and not ft-lbs. Use a small wrench. The design of the bolts with sleeves is such that you just need to snug them down such that they don't come loose. You can't alter the actual pressure on the valve cover gaskets. The sleeve determines that.

Anything that has a compressible gasket, by definition, cannot be 'torqued'. If you overload by using any sort of heavy hand you'll get a situation where the casket will simply continue to compress over a significant time. With a VERY heavy hand you'll cause the gasket to extrude and create a guaranteed leak.

'Torqued' fasteners have a repeatable characteristic.

With a gasket such as is found under a cam cover, a simple 'oof' or perhaps an 'umph' with a short wrench will suffice. :)

KS

In this case, the torque spec is just there to keep you from snapping the bolt or leaving it loose enough that it vibrates out. There is a sleeve around the bolt that fully seats. It sets the exact height of the valve cover over the top of the head. This ensures that the gasket is compressed by the designed for amount, unrelated to the exact torque the bolts are tightened with.

In this case, the torque spec is just there to keep you from snapping the bolt or leaving it loose enough that it vibrates out. There is a sleeve around the bolt that fully seats. It sets the exact height of the valve cover over the top of the head. This ensures that the gasket is compressed by the designed for amount, unrelated to the exact torque the bolts are tightened with.

So what your telling me Joegr is that I should just tighten the bolts on the valve cover down in the specific order shown so they are just snug in lamans terms ?

I assume the order has to do with making sure the gasket stays in place while tightening to prevent it from being squeezed out one side

I assume the order has to do with making sure the gasket stays in place while tightening to prevent it from being squeezed out one side

The sequence is to prevent tweaking the valve cover.

Members online

Back