Cant find coolant leak

nghtshd88

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
This is my 2nd LS so Im well aware of the common parts. I just overhauled the entire system 1 year ago including degas bottle and the hose under the upper intake, even one small hose from from the heater control valve. All OEM from Tasca.

The past few months I started smelling antifreeze and thought maybe it still smells from when I changed it as it was a bit messy and I rarely drove it much after the change. Now I cant help but miss it when I get out of the car. I have no visible leaks from any of the common plastic parts and degas. No white residue from dried coolant. Checked all the hose connections. Im starting to wonder if my radiator is going? I believe the plastic shield is under it so might be catching any fluid that may be falling. I lost a good inch off the top of the degas in the past 1k miles and was slowly adding the past few months Im losing more than before I replaced the system lol. The bleeder hose was a bit wet (wasnt that tight) but I think it was brake fluid as I recently changed it and it sits against the brake fluid. I lost an inch after I retightened the bleeder.

I do feel your pain. I had a leak on my 04 shortly after the 2nd full refresh. I could see where it was landing on the engine, but not where it came from. It wouldn't leak doing a pressure test. I finally found it. I had not cleaned off the mating surface of one of the heads to the crossover assembly well enough.

Anyway, here are two other things to check first that I have also experienced. First, check the DCCV. Second, check the front of the passenger side tank of the radiator. Take the top radiator mount bracket off to be able to get a good look at it. Both of mine developed hairline cracks there, right where the hot coolant from the engine was hitting the front of the tank.

You had a leak right after a refresh? What piece was defective? Edit: just reread that lol thats actually one of the first things that came to mind. But its been a year. I would think that would have happened immediately after. I was able to eye ball it with an LED light and dont see anything.

Will check that part of the radiator. A bit hard as its below zero outside and salt galore..

I have heard of the DCCV being a very hard/long job to do. I believe thats behind the dashboard right? Its in the engine bay, no scent inside.

...I have heard of the DCCV being a very hard/long job to do. I believe thats behind the dashboard right? Its in the engine bay, no scent inside.

No, the DCCV is easy to change compared to the blend door actuator that is used on the Town Car. The DCCV is attached to the engine fan shroud on the passenger side, just above the aux pump.

Finally above freezing today and I found a large wet area direcrly around the front trans cooler lines (underbody shields all wet). Upon checking underneath unfortunately the radiator and dccv are totally dry. This was right after a good hour of driving. More unfortunately the fluid has zero scent but a little bit like ATF. Only the bottom of the cooler lines are wet and close to the trans cooler. Someone already put worm gear clamps on them too.

About 60k miles after a full cooling system refresh, I saw some slight coolant drop in the degas. I couldn't find a leak... but did notice a white track of coolant leakage on the right side exhaust and transmission. I was pulling my hair out trying to find the leak for a few days.

Then,,, when I jacked the car up... I noticed it was dripping on the left side exhaust. Got out the inspection mirror... crawled on top of the engine while it was warming up,,, and saw the coolant running down onto the transmission bellhousing from the top of the block.

I'm thinkin "WTF"... because the only major coolant hose back there is an aluminum pipe that goes from the degas over to the heater hoses.... and that wasn't leaking. I went back to the front of the engine... and sure nuff,,, and under the throttle body,,, the large o-ring on the back side of the crossover pipe was leaking, (only during engine warm up and cool down).

The coolant would "puddle" on top of the block,,, until it built up enought to run off the block,,, onto the trans bellhousing,,, and then on to the exhaust.

I had a lot of trouble with that o-ring once. I wonder if Ford had a bad batch? Anyway, the next one I ordered worked.

I had a lot of trouble with that o-ring once. I wonder if Ford had a bad batch? Anyway, the next one I ordered worked.

Another O-ring I better make sure is good.

Wanna add my 2 cents to the leaking issue. I recently took my radiator to a reputable shop to have it flushed. Owner said I was out of luck as there is a hairline crack in it. I never saw any coolant leaking from it but I have come to believe him as he is a friend of a good friend. $95 for a new one. YMMV

... Owner said I was out of luck as there is a hairline crack in it. I never saw any coolant leaking from it but I have come to believe him as he is a friend of a good friend. $95 for a new one. YMMV

I'll bet that it was on the front side of the passenger side tank, opposite of where the top hose attaches...
That's where the hot coolant from the engine hits the plastic.

I'll bet that it was on the front side of the passenger side tank, opposite of where the top hose attaches...
That's where the hot coolant from the engine hits the plastic.

Sounds like a good analysis. We'll never know though as I left the thing at the service shop.

BTW do you or anyone else know if there's a difference between auto and manual cars for the radiator? I compared new with old today and they look identical yet the original has a sticker on top says 'manual'.

None that I am aware of, but I am not aware of everything...

Well I just did that and there you go. A big puddle on the lower intake. Even down by the oil cooler. Wasnt there 2 weeks ago. Its right under the elbow thats under the EGR that goes into the lower intake... however the TOP of the flange has a lot on it to. Being its a year old I doubt a crack. I think the gasket that goes into the crossover pipe didnt seat right.. i "specifically" recall putting it together and it was very hard to force the elbow in to that cross piece. Im really suprised it started months later and is getting worse.

I suppose I have to the EGR off as well as TB from the upper intake as well as the crossover. What a PITA.

20180228_143506.jpg

Lube that O-ring and back side of the crossover with a little coolant,,, and it should go together much easier. Might want to check the crossover for hairline cracks in that area... especially if you bought/used an aftermarket one... or if it's original to the vehicle.

While you're in there,,, make sure the throttle body heater hose is in good shape... and not overly soft. If it is... you might want to replace that too, if you have the time... (because it's labor intensive). Best to do the elbow too... if it's not newer.

Members online

Back