Can't decide! 3.73s or 4.10s?

DSMDan

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have 3.73s sitting in the garage (slightly used). My roommate has 4.10s in his Mustang (slightly used also).

He wants to put 3.73s in. So I have a choice -- either put the 3.73s in or trade him and put the 4.10s in. The only thing I'm worried about with the 4.10s is freeway mileage and it's not a very big concern since I don't drive on the freeway much. Think 4.10s are too much gear for these cars (or not enough :))?

I'm doing 4.10's. If I was in your shoes especially, 100% chance I would do 4.10's. You'll need a driveshaft and speedo gear, you know that right?

seanklsc said:
I'm doing 4.10's. If I was in your shoes especially, 100% chance I would do 4.10's. You'll need a driveshaft and speedo gear, you know that right?
Driveshaft?! I didn't know that.

What's the driveshaft out of? Speedo gear isn't that big of a deal. I've had enough Mustangs to know what it's like to have a wrong speedo from gears. ;)

Your driveshaft, assuming your car is a 94-98 model, is called a "two piece" and it's constructed like a tube within a tube. This is okay until you get the car up to around 80mph+ with stock gears... then you start getting those vibrations. One of Lincoln's biggest faults with this car in my opinion.

Anyway.. if you install lower gears obviously the vibration will come sooner because the driveshaft is spinning at a faster rate at low speeds. To fix it you swap in a one piece driveshaft that you may find for around $500-$600 from Denny's or MMX. You could also find a 93 model Mark, that was the only year that included a single piece driveshaft and required no upgrade.

When I install 4.10's I probably won't be able to afford a driveshaft right away, so I'm gonna stick to street driving and I won't feel the vibrations that much. If I get it on the highway at 60mph there's gonna be problems though. Street driving is all I do in NYC anyways.

seanklsc said:
Your driveshaft, assuming your car is a 94-98 model, is called a "two piece" and it's constructed like a tube within a tube. This is okay until you get the car up to around 80mph+ with stock gears... then you start getting those vibrations. One of Lincoln's biggest faults with this car in my opinion.

Anyway.. if you install lower gears obviously the vibration will come sooner because the driveshaft is spinning at a faster rate at low speeds. To fix it you swap in a one piece driveshaft that you may find for around $500-$600 from Denny's or MMX. You could also find a 93 model Mark, that was the only year that included a single piece driveshaft and required no upgrade.

When I install 4.10's I probably won't be able to afford a driveshaft right away, so I'm gonna stick to street driving and I won't feel the vibrations that much. If I get it on the highway at 60mph there's gonna be problems though. Street driving is all I do in NYC anyways.

So thats the vibration?!

gears

I have got 4.30 gear, and I still drive 60 plus miles one way to work it is not that bad. when I installed and went for test drive I was shocked to say the least, I thought it would be a lot more snappy GO WITH THE 4.10S

Driveshaft you don't need it. it just helps the ride and if your going for 4.10 then im gesing you could care less...

So, what would you guys suggest for my 93 Mark VIII that see equal street and highway duty? I put 3.73s in my 95 but it also weighs 600lbs less. Let me know something cause tomorrow morning I'm going to get a gear and a used traction-lok 2003 mustang.

dertyclown said:
Driveshaft you don't need it. it just helps the ride and if your going for 4.10 then im gesing you could care less...

Really? Do you have or ever driven in a geared Mark VIII? I have installed hundreds of rears in the past 8 years doing Mark's and I have only ever had ONE car not vibrate ever.

Know a little more before leading someone into a false sense of security.

Doing it the RIGHT way is the only way, with a 99.7% chance of vibrations its wise to have the shaft right there and ready to install vs paying more labor afterwards when you WILL HAVE to do it anyway.

Heres the ONLY MMX worth speaking of:

shaftgroup1a1.jpg

$485.00 shipped

The first ever 5 second Pro Mod uses his shafts too.

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/

DOHCtor_Mark said:
So, what would you guys suggest for my 93 Mark VIII that see equal street and highway duty? I put 3.73s in my 95 but it also weighs 600lbs less. Let me know something cause tomorrow morning I'm going to get a gear and a used traction-lok 2003 mustang.

You can flip a coin on this one. The 3.73's will be cheaper to do since you can just buy the entire Cobra pumpkin complete for around $650.00 vs building a 4.10 geard set up.

Can't lose either way.

I have had 4.10's since 1997 and love them. In fact last night I was getting 27.1 on the highway at 70 mph!!!

While installing 3.73 gears, will you have to swap out the driveshaft ? I have heard both stories, but since the topic is back up, why not ask...

27mpg!!! Oh my goodness! I'm doing 29-31 right now with the 3.07s Must be the weight and aerodynamics of these cars. I'll be taking a 17 hour road trip in April so, I've been curious about what the 3.73s would do but if you're getting that kinda mileage with 4.10s I'm all for it. I seldom go over 80mph...but I do like the rush of getting there ASAP. A shop here told me they could get me that carrier assy for 20% off. Is it a do-it-yourself job??

I would go with 3.73's which is my plan once I get everything else done first. 4.10 would make the car real scream when going on the highway. 3.73's seems to be the best of both worlds. Good performance and good for highway driving as well. But its mainly what you are looking for. And Geno.....where at in NJ you at? Because if your around tomorrow I would like to swing by your place and check it out and also of course to see that Mark VIII of yours!

when i was deciding on your same ?. i told myself this is a heavy car, going to need smaller gears to get it moving faster..............so, get 4.10's

Without a doubt go with the 4.10s

I went with 3.55 my first time around 6 years ago and I was dissapointed.The next time around I went the other way around and tried 4.56s.
The 56s were a tad too much unless you have a built tranny.But If I had it to do again I would go with either 4.10s or 4.30s 3.73s wouldn't even be a consideration.
With out overdrive mileage isnt affected hardly at all. I actually think mileage goes up in the city cause it takes less pedal to accelerate the car.

Here is a test....Geno can back me up on this....since he told me to do it.....go onto the highway and drive to the speed that you like to drive....set the cruise and then turn off the OD. Look at the difference in the RPM's between the OD on, and the OD off. That is the difference you will see with 4.10's in the rear.....basically. Basically with the OD off you have the equivalent of 4.10's. The car does not perform like it has 4.10's, but mostly everything else is about the same.

So..........go with
4.10's enuf said??? :Beer

Members online

Back