Cannot read OBD 2

honestabe

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 98' town car and I have a "service engine soon" light, but I cannot read from the OBD 2 port. The cigarette lighter also doesn't work. I checked the fuse and the fuse is fine, not sure where to look next. Anyone have a clue or is there another fuse panel hidden somewhere? I checked the one under the dash. It seems like it has an intermediate miss and the transmission seems to have a delayed shift.

I'm no expert but assuming you're using your own code scanner I'd bring it to an auto parts store for a free scan and see if they can pick up a code. They are always successful on my 2000 TC. For the lighter issue I can check the schematic for my 2000 and see if I can shed some light on where to look next. Do you have a test light or multi-meter so you can figure out where you have power and where you don't?

In the 2000 TC the schematic shows a LB/WH wire (fused 20Amp) from the "central distribution box" under the dash. This wire is supposed to be "hot at all times".

Where should I look for grounding issues? The grounds by the ecu are all secure. I was trying to use the scanner from the local parts store. I'll probably start tracing wires here sometime this week.

Glad you fixed it
I was going to say to start using a test light but that is useless now.

Members online

Back