Can you make a Mark VIII handle as good as...

98LSC32V

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you can make a Mark VIII handle as good as a G35? I drove my friend's 05 G35 Sedan a few weeks ago and it handled like it was on rails with the stock suspension it had. If I put on front and rear sway bars, polyurethane rear spindle bushings, rear torsional load brace and Falken max performance summer tires all around on the stock 16's, will it be comparable?

the super coupe will out hander that, so lower your car with springs and do all of the above

Falkens are junk. Twice I've seen split sidewalls on mark viii's. all four tires, one set were mine after less than 5k miles.

I'll tell everybody forever cause I was pissed I bought such junk.

Plus they're over rated. You buy a 275 it's going to be an inch wide.

JUNK.

I've got 275 Eagle F1 tires all the way around and that made a dramatic difference in handling. I have never driven a G35 but more rubber always helps

I have the Falken GR Beta FK451's on the rear and they are the best tire i've ever had, super sticky max performance summer. The thread design is killer too... Now I just need to get them for the fronts...

The Falken tires I had were 225 and gripped like no other 225 tire I had ever used...

Dern Humpus said:
You Sir, are smoking crack.

Ya thats true, but thats a different topic, anyways I have driven both cars the g35 does handle better but not much more then the supercoupe and it more of a size and weight thing, If you get bigger sway bars on, low profile tires 245 or wider, got lower springs and poly bushings on every suspension part possible it would feel like its on rails no problem

Dont believe me then dont worry cause most of you dont every mod your cars just talk about it, but if someone drops down a little cash they will see what Im talking about

Dominus said:
Eagle F1 GS-D3

There is nothing that compares.

+1, I have those on my ETC (which handles better than the Mark even though it's FWD) and they're pretty damn good for a regular street tire.

Traction from a Falken GR Beta FK451 ? That's a good joke.

Don't put them on the front, they tramline like a little biatch.

MarkOfDeath said:
Ya thats true, but thats a different topic, anyways I have driven both cars the g35 does handle better but not much more then the supercoupe and it more of a size and weight thing, If you get bigger sway bars on, low profile tires 245 or wider, got lower springs and poly bushings on every suspension part possible it would feel like its on rails no problem

Dont believe me then dont worry cause most of you dont every mod your cars just talk about it, but if someone drops down a little cash they will see what Im talking about
When I bought my super coupe it had 245 tires all around and car handled like crazy specially when you set suspension on firm.I never tought that 4000 lbs car can handle like that. Car has 255 drag radials and it's lowered now,You wouldn't belive how it handles now.

MarkOfDeath said:

I agree with MoD. I had front and rear Addco swaybars on my supercoupe, and polyurethane all the way around. The car rode a bit stiffer, yes. But boy did it handle! Especially for it's weight. This was at stock height suspension.

The Mark VIII with a 1 1/4 or was it 1 1/8??? swaybar, real polyurethane Cobra shocks, and lower profile tires will handle a hell of a lot better than a stock mark.

I do have a 1.5" Front swaybar, and new polyurethane on the front as well now. Can't say how it handles yet, as the engine is still out of the car. (long story). But I'm willing to bet it will handle even better than with just the rear work. This will be with Eagle F1 tires as well. I've never ran F1's, but I've heard good things about them.

Dominus said:
Eagle F1 GS-D3

There is nothing that compares.

That's a simple minded statement. Try the BF goodrich G force KDW's, you'll reconsider.

Urethane bushings, swaybars, 18's with good tires, larger brakes (front at least), a 2" sensor lower, new front air struts, an alignment, and the right chip including changing out shift points, and that G35 will be in the dust. You'll be surprised, and wonder why you didn't do it sooner. ;)

Dern Humpus said:
You Sir, are smoking crack.

considering ive driven both id have to agree.

also....the GSD3s are crap. got them on the cobra. traction sucks and handling is mediocre. the kumho MX is actually a better tire all around. for half the price too.

while you can MAKE the car shandle decently.....its still very flimsy and a large heavy car. the G will always be more tossable/controllable at the limit.

How much does the G weigh?

With a lowered mark you lower your center of gravity excessively, so essentially as long as your tires stick the extra weight doesn't mean anything.

I'm not saying this because I have a mark and need to stick up for it. I say it because I take 5mph 90deg turns in my car everytime I come home at 20 and the only effect it has is shoving me against my door. It doesn't even push, and I don't slow down at all either. I'd like to see a G do it. I've never been in one but they look like you could lower them a foot and still have your ass as high as in an F250.

I think some of you would appreciate a ride in my car in the handling aspect, not to sound conceited but because you would.

Also, with unibody or subframe connectors after a drop, the car isn't flimsy hardly at all.

poniesviii said:
That's a simple minded statement. Try the BF goodrich G force KDW's, you'll reconsider.

Urethane bushings, swaybars, 18's with good tires, larger brakes (front at least), a 2" sensor lower, new front air struts, an alignment, and the right chip including changing out shift points, and that G35 will be in the dust. You'll be surprised, and wonder why you didn't do it sooner. ;)

Tried them. They're nothing compared to the GSD3s. It takes at least the KD to pose any sort of competition to the GS-D3. And the KD, although pretty much equal to the F1 in the dry, it is vastly inferior in the wet.

I don't make simple minded statements. Just statements from experience. I've probably used every max performance summer tire that there is out there, from the S-03, to the SP9000, to most of the higher end of the Pzero line (including Asimetrico), and the list goes on and on.

Oh, and Kumho MX's are garbage. Don't take my word for it. They continually place low or last in every tire comparison done.

The handling problems you are having with your Cobra are likely just that it is a Cobra. Seriously. I've driven those things on several compounds, including race compounds, and it never felt like an awe inspiring drive.

Put a decent suspension under there and everything goes out the window, but for a stock or near stock suspension, it's not going to produce any major efforts.

Not to mention that they flat out suck in the rain compared to anything. The tread pattern is old. Plain and simply. It looks like something that BF Goodrich would have made in the mid 1980's and shows their lack of compund development. To make up for the lack of development, they simply reduced the tread count and width (and apparently depth) in order to get grip. The result is a tire that performs "well", and gives up a lot of grip in the wet. It's still a much better tire than just about any all-season out there, but it's nowhere near the KD or GS-D3.

None of you think you can make a mark, hell even a super coupe match the handle of a stock G35

The G35 Sedan weighs around 3400lbs as does the coupe for some reason.

I said that a mark on lowered spring suspension wouldnt fit the bill. I didnt say you couldnt do it.

Why do I know? I have the 2" lowered spring conversion, and it still handles like ass.

Dern, How old are your suspension components? I'll bet if you pull them out and look at the rubber bushings, they will be toast. Bushings like the Lower Control arms, upper control arms, strut rods, etc.

Just putting new struts/shocks/springs on a car is not going to turn said car into a better handling car. It will help over how it handles before the new shocks/springs, but you also need to adress supporting components as listed above.

Dern Humpus said:
I said that a mark on lowered spring suspension wouldnt fit the bill. I didnt say you couldnt do it.

Why do I know? I have the 2" lowered spring conversion, and it still handles like ass.

Where can you get a 2 inch lowered spring conversion kit? I know American Air suspension only sells the 1.5 inch drop kit conversion.

Members online

No members online now.
Back