can the light in cruise control switch be replaced?

I believe they can be desoldered and replaced, but there are OEM buttons still available on Ebay which is where I got my replacements.

I believe they can be desoldered and replaced, but there are OEM buttons still available on Ebay which is where I got my replacements.

I've searched and searched on eBay and Google to no avail. Most are 93 thru 96 and not lighted. The few I did find lighted were not in black. If you have any eBay leads I would appreciate the links?

If memory serves, you gotta remove the air bag to get the button off

Is it possible to say get grey ones and just switch the tops to my black ones? Do the top pieces just snap on and off?

Sorry for the crude pictures, but yes, the tops come off. You could probably just use the light/panel portion into your existing switch. Dude selling that "New" switch is out of his mind. Everything that I find in the jy from now on will be listed as New-other, I'll just say that it was bulk packaged.:rolleyes:

Columnnewparts012.jpg

Columnnewparts011.jpg

You do have to remove the airbag to get to the switches.

1- Disconnect battery
2-Pop the 2 plastic covers behind the wheel and remove bolts
3-Remove airbag and disconnect any connectors holding it on.
4- 2 screws hold on each side, remove those and iirc you gently pop off the covers.

Been playing with mine, using a trim too I could pop them off without taking the airbag off. Posted in another thread, but, I could have "new" circuit boards made to use LEDs instead of lamps.

Cruise control

You do not need to replace the complete switch. Just unplug and snap out the board with the bulb and buttons on it and replace it with a good one from an Explorer or F150. Pry off the plastic cover, remove the rubber insulator and pop out the board and bam, all better.

You do not need to replace the complete switch. Just unplug and snap out the board with the bulb and buttons on it and replace it with a good one from an Explorer or F150. Pry off the plastic cover, remove the rubber insulator and pop out the board and bam, all better.

Hey great idea. Thanks so much for that tip. Now just need to find one.

I never did try lamps - couldn't find anything on the out there, so I did this instead.

1972383_10152135215769389_5979294315501759982_n.jpg

10307413_10152135215709389_3385404647142097863_n.jpg

10151165_10152135215654389_4280105534740489600_n.jpg

Frank where do I get them and do you have a part number? How hard to hook them in? Is the light bulb color the same as the OEMs?

I have a black 97 LSC in the JY in my city. I can pull them and send them to you. I have spare circuit boards for the switches with the lites, but I'm keeping them for my car. my lites quit working a couple of years ago, but I think it's just a connection issue, that I'll have my mechanic check out later down the road.

I have a black 97 LSC in the JY in my city. I can pull them and send them to you. I have spare circuit boards for the switches with the lites, but I'm keeping them for my car. my lites quit working a couple of years ago, but I think it's just a connection issue, that I'll have my mechanic check out later down the road.
Wow that sounds great. Do you want $ for them or just the postage?

Surface mount LED's are cut out off of a PCB, and then superglued to the factory cruise module. Resistors were used to limit the brightness.

Members online

Back