Can the coolant system pressurize if the water pump is bad

Blueberryyum02

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
The title says it all, was wondering cause I have leak at the bottom of my waterpump, but the system still holds some pressure,

Also is there a shop Manuel on changing the water pump I have a 02 v8 which seems straight forward, on the replacement but need to know torque specs.

Thanks in advance.

The water pump doesn't pressurize the system. The pressure comes from the expansion of the coolant (and some air) in the system due to heating from the engine. If the leak is small enough, no matter where it is, the system will still pressurize at least some. The leak has to be very small for it to still reach full pressure.

For the torque: tighten to 8 Nm (71 lb-in), then rotate an additional 90 degrees.

The water pump doesn't pressurize the system. The pressure comes from the expansion of the coolant (and some air) in the system due to heating from the engine. If the leak is small enough, no matter where it is, the system will still pressurize at least some. The leak has to be very small for it to still reach full pressure.

For the torque: tighten to 8 Nm (71 lb-in), then rotate an additional 90 degrees.

Ok thanks Joegr, for the reply I'm waiting on the pump now it should be here tomorrow I'm going to tackle this project over the weekend.

As for the pressure was wondering, when I check the hoses the are firm not as firm as they should be but none the less they have pressure which bleeds off rather quick when I shut the car down. Right now it's parked might get out in the morning and start pulling it off so when the part gets here I can just put it on Friday morning when I get off work.

If I've read correctly, the old squeeze the hose trick doesn't work anymore. They fail from the inside out and one really can't tell the status of the hose, correctly.

That's if I understand what I read correctly and it wasn't industry propaganda.......

If I've read correctly, the old squeeze the hose trick doesn't work anymore. They fail from the inside out and one really can't tell the status of the hose, correctly.

That's if I understand what I read correctly and it wasn't industry propaganda.......

No I was talking about squeezing the hose to see if they had pressure, and or coolant flowing thru them.

Thanks Garcia for the shop file. The pump should be here to day will take pictures and post. When I do replace it.

No problem! I just got it today because I need to replace mine as well. Mechanic seems to think it is the reason my A/C running causes overheating.

... Mechanic seems to think it is the reason my A/C running causes overheating.

I think that with this symptom, it is more likely to be your cooling fan that is the problem. If your water pump isn't leaking, it is very unlikely to be the problem.

image.jpgGot mines today and it's on, the v8 is straight forward, when I pulled the old pump the lip that secures the O ring was stuck in the block mines was or could have been the original pump. The ac delco pump still has the plastic outer but the impellers are metal.

The pump cost me 21 bucks it was slightly used on amazon the gaskets was still seal in the package, and the pump look like someone returned it cause it was not the right part. So I got a unused pump for little to nothing.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Well needless to say the O ring on the water pump was the culprit. When I bleed the system I got heat from the vents that got hotter and hotter the long I let it run. So it was not the outside air and heat from the engine it was hit coolant this time. Letting her cool down then going to top her off and she is good to go.

Right on, finally got it solved. and they say not to just throw parts at it, sometimes you have to and not by choice. Nothing wrong with refreshing some old worn parts anyhow ... if budget allows of course.

Right on, finally got it solved. and they say not to just throw parts at it, sometimes you have to and not by choice. Nothing wrong with refreshing some old worn parts anyhow ... if budget allows of course.

I didn't have a choice but to throw this part at it, it started leaking from the bottom, real bad, when I pulled it off and got better look at it the O,ring lip was completely off.

Members online

No members online now.
Back