Can Non-Christians get fair treatment in Alabama?

foxpaws

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
New Ala. Gov: Just Christians are his family
By JAY REEVES, Associated Press Jay Reeves, Associated Press – Tue Jan 18, 11:39 pm ET

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley told a church crowd just moments into his new administration that those who have not accepted Jesus as their savior are not his brothers and sisters, shocking some critics who questioned Tuesday whether he can be fair to non-Christians.

"Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother," Bentley said Monday, his inauguration day, according to The Birmingham News.

The Anti-Defamation League on Tuesday called Bentley's remarks shocking.

"His comments are not only offensive, but also raise serious questions as to whether non-Christians can expect to receive equal treatment during his tenure as governor," said Bill Nigut, the ADL's regional director.

Speaking at Dexter Avenue King Memorial Church after the official inaugural ceremony, Bentley told the crowd that he considered anyone who believed in Jesus to be his brothers and sisters regardless of color, but anyone who isn't a Christian doesn't have that same relationship to him.

"If the Holy Spirit lives in you that makes you my brothers and sisters. Anyone who has not accepted Jesus, I want to be your brothers and sisters, too," Bentley said.

After his speech, Bentley said he did not mean to insult anyone.

Responding to questions about it, Bentley's office released a statement Tuesday saying he believes "he is the governor of all of Alabama."

"The governor clearly stated that he will be the governor of all Alabamians — Democrat, Republican and Independent, young, old, black and white, rich and poor. As stated in his (inaugural) address, Gov. Bentley believes his job is to make everyone's lives better," the statement said.

Ashfaq Taufique, president of the Birmingham Islamic Society, told The Birmingham News he wasn't sure how Bentley's remarks were intended.

"Does it mean that those who according to him are not saved are less important than those who are saved?" Taufique said. "Does he want those of us who do not belong to the Christian faith to adopt his faith? That should be toned down. That's not what we need. If he means that, I hope he changes it. We don't want evangelical politicians. They can be whatever in their private life."

The official with the Anti-Defamation League, which fights discrimination against Jewish people, said it sounded like Bentley was using the office of governor to advocate for Christian conversion.

"If he does so, he is dancing dangerously close to a violation of the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which forbids government from promoting the establishment of any religion," Nigut said.

Inclusion, not Exclusion

Not, perhaps, the very best way to get his message across. But, coming as I do, from a background where all the 'church family' were addressed as 'Brother' and 'Sister', I have no trouble understanding what he was saying. I'd interpret it as, "I'd like to draw a larger circle and make others, who aren't now part of the family, also, (in the future), included. In other words, his statement should be looked at as a message seeking inclusion, not exclusion.

KS

...what did he do or say that indicates they can't get a fair shake?

Cal, the answer is---NOTHING. Looked who posted. It's another chance to trash someone who doesn't have the accepted lib/progressive outlook.

KS

Nepotism anyone? You always give 'family' the best deals - it is human nature. And notice in his inaugural address he stated...

Alabamians - Democrat, Republican and Independent, young, old, black and white, rich and poor

Sort of overlooked any mention of being the governor of all sects....

Should we turn the podium into the pulpit? Should an elected official use the podium as a means to convert the electorate?

Bentley did cross the line - he is placing one religion, his, as the 'preferred' religion. He used his position as governor to tell his electorate that they need to convert to his idea of Christianity. As an elected official, he can't do that.

I always charge family more. I figure I need a larger margin of profit since I'm going to put up with their bitching and moaning if the product isn't to their liking.

I'm going to have to agree with foxy on this one. In God we may trust, but the first amendment is there for a reason. Now, granted, it says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." but come on... Government is Government. Local or federal, they're both out to screw us.

Yep, frog, they will screw us - and somehow it seems just that much more 'dirty' when they also do it in the name of the Lord....

Nepotism anyone? You always give 'family' the best deals - it is human nature. And notice in his inaugural address he stated...
You must have misunderstood the question.
What did he say that indicates non-Christians will be treated unfairly, not what can you manufacture or misrepresent to create such an impression.

Whether his comment was politically wise, theologically accurate, or good judgment isn't the issue either. What did he say that demonstrates he's going to treat "non-Christians" unfairly?

You must have misunderstood the question.
What did he say that indicates non-Christians will be treated unfairly, not what can you manufacture or misrepresent to create such an impression.

Whether his comment was politically wise, theologically accurate, or good judgment isn't the issue either. What did he say that demonstrates he's going to treat "non-Christians" unfairly?

And the title of this thread isn't a statement - it is a question Cal - you must have misunderstood the premise of this thread.

Can non-christians get fair treatment in Alabama?

Do you think they can - after Bentley's statement of Christian brotherhood and sisterhood, and how important that is to him?

Do you or don't you Cal?

I don't think they can. Do you treat family better than strangers? I believe it is human nature to treat your brothers and sisters with greater difference than those who aren't.

So - when do you think they will raise the theocracy flag in 'bama... ;)

Puzzling Comments

Can non-christians get fair treatment in Alabama?

Answer: Yes! (since that was---as you say---a simple question, there clearly is no need for any discussion. Or were you REALLY being provocative?

Do you treat family better than strangers? I believe it is human nature to treat your brothers and sisters with greater difference than those who aren't.

Since my brother is completely different---he doesn't even live in the same town I do---I DO treat him different than myself. Oh, wait a minute. Did you mean d-E-fference? Passivity? No, I don't defer to him either. I don't know what you mean!

KS

Yes, they can get a fair shake in Alabama.
How I treat my biological family has nothing to to do with what he said or what he meant. Infact, biological family relationships have nothing to do with what he said.

There's no reason to raise a "theocracy" flag either, unless it's being raised by dishonest, political opportunists who just want to trick people for political gain.

So Cal and KS - you believe that a muslim dealing with Bentley and a Christian dealing with Bentley would be viewed as 'equals' by him.

He already has stated that the Christian citizen would be viewed, by him, as being his sister or brother - he stated that if you aren't a Christian, you don't have that close, personal relationship with him, but gosh - how about changing, so you too can have that 'elevated' status.

"Anybody here today who has not accepted ALLAH as their God, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother."
-Barack Obama at the 2011 Martin Luther King Day rally (not really - but, for argument sake....)​

That statement would of had the right in a tizzy.... and rightly so.

KS-late day typing, running out the door - sorry - I just was trying to show how you do treat your family different than you treat strangers - it is human nature. If your brother asked you for a favor - you are more likely to grant it (expecting good familial relationship here), than if a stranger asked you for the same favor. Or if you had a job available, you are more likely to give it to your sister, than someone you don't know.

So Cal and KS - you believe that a muslim dealing with Bentley and a Christian dealing with Bentley would be viewed as 'equals' by him.
I know that you can continue to reset this and spin it over and over, but do you have something else to add? The answer is still no.

He already has stated that the Christian citizen would be viewed, by him, as being his sister or brother - he stated that if you aren't a Christian, you don't have that close, personal relationship with him, but gosh - how about changing, so you too can have that 'elevated' status.

"Anybody here today who has not accepted ALLAH as their God, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother."
-Barack Obama at the 2011 Martin Luther King Day rally (not really - but, for argument sake....)​

That statement would of had the right in a tizzy.... and rightly so.

KS-late day typing, running out the door - sorry - I just was trying to show how you do treat your family different than you treat strangers - it is human nature. If your brother asked you for a favor - you are more likely to grant it (expecting good familial relationship here), than if a stranger asked you for the same favor. Or if you had a job available, you are more likely to give it to your sister, than someone you don't know.

Foxy, m'love---

(Meant sincerely in a non-inter-gender-al way) you have enough intellect to be very adept at attempting the re-framing of a discussion and trying to put words in your opponent's mouth.

I would answer that any relationship is so complex that trying to compare---or perhaps contrast---from one to another on the basis of one facet is at best not productive if not impossible.

I have a superficial relationship with a follower-of-Allah. With sincerity he told me that he believed that Jesus was a 'good man'. This made it possible for me to quote C. S. Lewis to him. He, of course, had no answer. And, in some ways, he's closer than my actual brother, who lives some distance away, and with whom I have only irregular contact.

I don't have a sister, unless you'd like to assume that role. Even though you're a lib/progressive about whom I have very serious doubts, I'd promise to think of you as part of my family.

You are either sincerely lost at the 'church' meaning of 'brother' and 'sister' or you're being disingenuous.
In either case it would seem that there's not much likelihood of anything other than bickering.:(

KS

foxpaws said:
-Barack Obama at the 2011 Martin Luther King Day rally (not really - but, for argument sake....)

It's important to recognize the difference between the Christan notion of "brother and sister" and the Islamic faith. I think a lot of people hold the mistaken notion that we're all "the children of God" by nature and thus we are all really "brothers and sisters" to each other. This, however, is neither a belief of Islam nor of Christianity - but it is a belief of sloppy, liberal modernism. Sadly its a belief I hardly see in the liberal vitriol of left-wing pundits today.

Foxy, m'love---

(Meant sincerely in a non-inter-gender-al way)

Dang - I was hoping for something more in the realm of politically incorrect and therefore much more fun sort of way ;)

I don't have a sister, unless you'd like to assume that role. Even though you're a lib/progressive about whom I have very serious doubts, I'd promise to think of you as part of my family.
Oh, double drat - sister?

KS - I still think if the man is trying to convert from the podium, he is going to treat non-Christians differently from Christians.

But, who really knows - and by this point there has been quite the to-do about it, Bentley will no doubt be filling his cabinet with jews, muslims, and heretics...

Members online

No members online now.
Back