can i install the message center buttons if my car doesnt already have them?

Banker

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
i had a hard time getting relevant search results for this...

about the only option my LS didnt come with was the message center buttons below the heat vents. is this something i can install if i get my hands on the setup?

i wonder what's all needed? the buttons and the bezel and the wiring harness?

Sure, you can put the message center buttons in, but they won't do anything for you. The message center itself is part of the cluster. Only the V8s came with the message center.
If you were to swap your dash cluster with one from a V8, it still might not work as the PCM in V6 flavor may not send the information that the message center needs. (And yes, you would have to change out some wiring harnesses.)

BTW, if you swap the cluster, you'll need a dealer to remarry the cluster to the PCM before you can start the car.

ooooh ok i see
thanks

not even close to worth the trouble. i'll just have to keep my eye on the fluid levels like every other poor sucker out there.

Im biased but the V8 rumble just sounds so damn good.

lol well my LS is in mint condition and i got a good price.
plus i have no business buying a V8 with the way gas is and as much as i drive.

honestly when i set out to buy a new car last month i was leaning toward something with a 4 cyl. I'd never noticed an LS before and had never been in one. always kinda liked the look of the town cars and i looked at a couple. then i spotted an LS on the lot, test drove it and test drove 6 more after that. finally hit it big with a private seller. my balls say id rather it had been a v8 but my brain brain and my wallet are pleased with the v6. just as much power as my other v6's.

Actually the mileage of the V6 isnt much better than the V8 at all.

Ive seen 25-26mpg highway on long trips and if i dont drive with my foot in it i can get 18 city.

exhuast and intake will help some but it wont be as deep as that of a V8.

Straight piped it sounds like a Mustang GT.

technically, yes. there is a guy with an ls1 and 6 speed manual.

oh i'd love to have a manual. that would make me much happier than a v8. i see that the 2nd gens didnt come with that option but i wonder if we can put a 1st gen manual in a 2nd gen...maybe not becuz of the computer?

hmm i guess i shoulda bought a 1st gen with a v8 and a manual

The V8 never came with manual just SST.

And theres a lot of improvements from gen I to gen II.

SST does the same thing but without a clutch.

Not exactly a manual but behaves similarly.

Banker, if your car doesn't have SST (where you can shift it from gear to gear similar to a manual), you CAN add that :)

i have no business buying a V8 with the way gas is and as much as i drive.

take it from a guy that has owned both, there is very little difference in mileage between the the two motors (like 1-2 mpg), it not worth the loss of power unless you get the 5 speed manual.

oh i'd love to have a manual. that would make me much happier than a v8. i see that the 2nd gens didnt come with that option but i wonder if we can put a 1st gen manual in a 2nd gen...maybe not becuz of the computer?

Dude, do you know ANYTHING about the car you drive? Because the more you talk, the more I am realizing you know nothing about a LS.

Good luck with that.. And a swap with the computers wouldn't work either because the Gen 2s had VVT and more to control.

There was never a full V8 manual.. Only Select-Shift and SST..

Dude, do you know ANYTHING about the car you drive? Because the more you talk, the more I am realizing you know nothing about a LS.

i like you. and i appreciate how easy it is to make friends on this forum.

i bought the car last week. hasnt been particularly important to know every god damn thing about every LS ever made. figured this forum might be a friendly place to learn.

i know plenty about the LS I bought

(ur just mad cuz i dont like your rims) :p

thast not really a desirable combo, they burn through johnson rods like you wouldn't believe, also the muffler bearings tent to seize up prematurely

hasnt been particularly important to know every god damn thing about every LS ever made.
hold the unlock button on the factory remote down for a few seconds and watch the magic unfold

Members online

No members online now.
Back