Can anyone on the Forum inform me if the Lincoln LS has a VCT solenoid?

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
How to check if a vct solenoid is bad?
heard complaints and have seen this problem several times. If it is the design i am thinking, ford had a strange EGR design where the egr tube goes through the intake and a common problem was that the back side of the tube would get very carbon-ed up and cause misfires and all sorts of problems. Unfortunately i do not believe it is possible to clean out with a coat hanger or such, Ford's fix was to take off the intake manifold and let sit in parts cleaner for the night and then try and bust up as much of the carbon as possible.

not saying this is your problem because I cannot be sure. But simply a suggested common problem with Ford V-8's. Hope this may help a bit”

I came across across a P1286 code on my Blue Driver IPad App ... after doing a exhaustive search, I come to find that this might be my rough idle issue ...can someone enlighten me if I’m chasing my tail by going down this route ...

Here is another article about this code...

“P1286 the main thing to check is to verify the operation of the VCT solenoid. You're looking for a sticking or stuck VCt solenoid valve caused by contamination. Refer to vehicle specific repair manual to perform component tests for the VCT unit.”

My car is at m trusted mechanic getting the alternator replaced...just wondering if I should shoot this in his ear ...due to his first thought before I brought it to him was carbon build up?
Thanks LS Family

Last edited:
The 3.9 does not seem to have any of the EGR clogging problems that some of the 4.6s had.

The 2nd gen (2003-2006) LS (V8 and V6) has VCT on both intake cams. The 1st gen does not. You can't miss the VCT solenoids. They are at the front of the valve covers.

The 3.9 does not seem to have any of the EGR clogging problems that some of the 4.6s had.

The 2nd gen (2003-2006) LS (V8 and V6) has VCT on both intake cams. The 1st gen does not. You can't miss the VCT solenoids. They are at the front of the valve covers.
Thanks Joegr I appreciate the response ...I saw that companies such as EBay, Amazon, Rockauto were selling VCT solenoids but nothing for 1st Gens ...thanks again for giving me conformation

Could you give me some knowledge about the P1286 code and how it relates to the 2001 Lincoln LS 1st Gen?

Members online

Back