Cam spec question

Black87LSC

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Im going to be doing a timing chain on my T/C very soon, and I figure while im there why not put a little more cam into it. I was just wondering how big a cam the stock computer can handle without converting to mass air? The car has high miles, but has been very well maintained so i would think it would be fine with a small cam. I'm just looking to give it a little bit of a lumpy idle:p I'm thinking a Ford Racing B cam would be adequate for what i want, could the speed density setup handle that?

I think you would notice gains using the Ford Racing B cam. I thinks its pretty mild. Just remember that your speed density won't recognize it and therefore won't take full advantage of its potential.

If you change the cam, you will need mass air. Otherwise, the computer will go apesh!t...

Well there ya go. Ask one question get two different answers. Anyone else want to chime in?

I think you will be OK, but your gains won't be as much as with mass air. So you change the cam a little bit, big deal. The computer is still going to give the same amount of fuel and air as before. Imagine if the cam was really worn, the engine still runs right.

Obviously Mass Air is a better way to go, but people do make gains with speed density. How is speed density going to go apesh@t? Why doesn't it go apesh@t with intake and exhaust? Its preprogrammed to specifications. I've heard its on the richer side for fear of leaning out cylinders.

This is just what I've read, I have no real experience changing cams with speed density. I would like to hear from someone who has actually done it.

Yea, I plan on converting to mass air, but I just didnt want to have to convert so soon. My car needs a lot of little things right now including the timing chain, and Ive been looking for an excuse to make it rumble :D If I have to convert it for the cam, so be it. But, if it will hold an idle and run decent, Id rather just throw the cam in for now

Crane and Comp cams sell cams

that are made to play nice with your speed density system. Gackner over on the Bronco forum has done several.

Sixlitre

You might not have much of a choice if you want roller. You can probably go with a non roller, but then you have to break it in. When I redid my 90 TC, I thought I was ok with a roller truck cam which was a little smaller than a factor HO cam, but I had to go with a SD computer from a 88 mustang and then had to get the 19# injectors. Of course I went with ported mustang heads. Good luck.
Rob

Members online

No members online now.
Back