California Emissons

H

HighRule

Before finding this awesome site I drove around on bad coils for a little too long. I also had other issues with me car that caused it not to pass smog. I had to end up applying for C.A.P. (Consumer Assistance Program) assistance because of all the issues. The assistance paid $500 of the repairs and I paid the remaining $400. The place that I took it also passed it for smog. After 3-4 days of driving after getting my car back the CEL came on and was for my catalytic converter. It's been about a year now and I'm finally getting to fix this issue.

I'm considering moving to the east coast from Cali (been east almost a year now) and I was trying to find out if I could use a catalytic converter not legal in Cali. I found out today that I cannot unless I have my LS reprogrammed. I was told it would cost more to convert then to get the same replacement.

Ok, now to the topic part. I found some converters and was curious.

1. Do I have to replace both of them or just the one that's having the issue?
2. Will having 2 different types cause issues?
3. Can I cut the hold ones off and weld the others back in and it cause no issues with the O2 sensors? I plan on replacing the O2 sensors also.

I'm not doing the work myself. I lack the knowledge of this subject and I don't know how to weld lol. I'm just trying to prepare for the work to get done and trying to get all the needed parts for the shop. I'm driving from WV to NC (my dads) to have it done. I don't trust the local shops here and he has a muffler friend that's did work on my '66 Mustang before.

Thanks in advance for all input and advice.

What I got from that. When that takes effect, newer cars can be plugged into a computer and checked instead of having to put the checker thing in the tailpipe of the car. "It would be faster and cheaper to check."

Thats how all 96 and newer cars are checked in texas.

If it doesnt have codes and a working horn it passes.

Yeah it means if your car is OBDII you wont have to deal with the archaic tailpipe emission check in California anymore. AKA California's emission checking will be on par with the rest of the US instead of draconian

Yeah it means if your car is OBDII you wont have to deal with the archaic tailpipe emission check in California anymore. AKA California's emission checking will be on par with the rest of the US instead of draconian

It's just that other states "trust" the PCM when it says the cats are working OK, whereas CA actually checks the emissions output. Given the culture, that makes sense.

To actually be useful to the OP, the issue will be if non-CA cats perform as well as CA cats, which would be detected by the sniffers, and possibly (although I'd be surprised) by the PCM. Having two different cats, functionally, shouldn't be a problem. Note that you may fail visual inspection if they don't look the same. I also suspect CA cats have some sort of marking identifying them as such so they can pass visual. I've only lived in Texas, so I can't speak authoritatively on that.

Where did you get the info that you'd need a reprogram?

Where did you get the info that you'd need a reprogram?

When I had my PCM reprogrammed after I installed the SST shifter there were 49 state and CA options. I had to take the CA program......

Having two different cats, functionally, shouldn't be a problem. Where did you get the info that you'd need a reprogram?

My cousin works at a tire shop in NC and he told me about an issue they ran into on a customers car that happened to be from Cali also.

I'm thinking I'll just replace both to be on the safe side. I'm sure the other one's not far from becoming clogged.

Can clogged cats or misfires or anything else cause issues with the mufflers? Would they also need to be replaced for any reason? I'm wanting to keep the stock exhaust but replace the tips with bigger ones to fill in some of that tip gap.

I planned on going to the muffler shop today but plans change when dealing with stupid people. I called a local salvage yard with an 03 LS. Drove the 40 some miles and when I got there they said "We don't have an 03, but we have an 01." I told them I was told an 03. They stated I was told wrong and that I wouldn't even be able to see the 01 anyways. "That car is on our other lot and we're not giving out that location due to security issues." Thanks for wasting my time idiots.

Will try the muffler shop tomorrow though.

When I had my PCM reprogrammed after I installed the SST shifter there were 49 state and CA options. I had to take the CA program......

Thanks! Good to know the CA emissions differences run that deep.

My cousin works at a tire shop in NC and he told me about an issue they ran into on a customers car that happened to be from Cali also.

I'm thinking I'll just replace both to be on the safe side. I'm sure the other one's not far from becoming clogged.

Can clogged cats or misfires or anything else cause issues with the mufflers? Would they also need to be replaced for any reason? I'm wanting to keep the stock exhaust but replace the tips with bigger ones to fill in some of that tip gap.

I planned on going to the muffler shop today but plans change when dealing with stupid people. I called a local salvage yard with an 03 LS. Drove the 40 some miles and when I got there they said "We don't have an 03, but we have an 01." I told them I was told an 03. They stated I was told wrong and that I wouldn't even be able to see the 01 anyways. "That car is on our other lot and we're not giving out that location due to security issues." Thanks for wasting my time idiots.

Will try the muffler shop tomorrow though.

If you're in CA, you can't legally replace a working cat, you can only replace a damaged cat.

Just getting back from the muffler shop. The guy said that he doesn't think he'll be able to cut out the old and weld in the new because of the location on the cat and how they're close to the mounting bracket. I spoke to ford also and they can sale me the whole part that mounts on the engine with the cats and just have it welded onto the existing exhaust. That's $1500+ though.

On a plus side I ordered my driver side window reg today for $86 shipped from ford.

Find another shop that can

Would it be best for me to take the exhaust off myself and take it to them for them to see exactly how it needs to be done? He looked at it and told me what he thought. But without seeing exactly how it is, that could be why he said that.

As of last year you can't buy "universal" cats in CA, gotta be CARB-approved and same as original equipment. (Used to be able to buy CARB-approved aftermarket cats, but no more.)

Which is total BS, what was wrong with the CARB-approved aftermarket cats? Not a thing. I suspect CARB made a backdoor deal with the CA auto dealer industry, since this will be very profitable for them.

Now, if you have a California car and have aftermarket cats installed out of state, I highly doubt the smog inspector will look for the CARB stamp on the cats, and will just go by the sniff test - which should pass just fine. Ridiculous that CA puts its citizens through this nonsense, clean air is clean air.

Yeah any automotive work you need done and dont have a reliable person for should be treated like getting a diagnosis for a serious medical condition: always get a second, third, fourth, etc. opinion before you cave in.

Would it be best for me to take the exhaust off myself and take it to them for them to see exactly how it needs to be done? He looked at it and told me what he thought. But without seeing exactly how it is, that could be why he said that.

I would say no, save you some work. Just check out a few more spots and find someone who can install a new cat.

Good deal but its stock.

Not saying thats a bad thing....will make the dictators in cali happy.

How about you just buy this complete both side cats and 3rd in one unit brand new bolt on for 415 dollars?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Catalytic-C...Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_1904wt_966

That's an awesome deal. Does the production date thing matter? Mine was 2/24/03 and that says from 7/03.

I've only made one purchase from ebay and I'm trying to figure out how to contact the seller to see if it's Cali legal.

Edit: Send message to seller, waiting reply.

That's an awesome deal. Does the production date thing matter? Mine was 2/24/03 and that says from 7/03.

I've only made one purchase from ebay and I'm trying to figure out how to contact the seller to see if it's Cali legal.

Edit: Send message to seller, waiting reply.

Well its oem...of course its cali legal.

Good deal but its stock.

Not saying thats a bad thing....will make the dictators in cali happy.

Lol. I'm fine with stock. I planned on keeping the stock exhaust but just changing the tips to bigger ones.

I'm going to keep exhaust, suspension stock. I only plan on doing the intake, new OEM suspension parts and I was thinking 19' or 20' wheels to close in some of the stock fender gap.

Well its oem...of course its cali legal.

I didn't even think about that. Thanks for pointing that out since I didn't notice it.

Lol. I'm fine with stock. I planned on keeping the stock exhaust but just changing the tips to bigger ones.

You could keep it very stock...just changing out the mufflers and tips will give you a nice sound and look.

And you could always keep the factory stuff and weld it back on if you were to ever sell the car. The LS just sounds really good with magnaflows....not obnoxiously loud like a mod motor but a nice low rumble.

You could keep it very stock...just changing out the mufflers and tips will give you a nice sound and look.

And you could always keep the factory stuff and weld it back on if you were to ever sell the car. The LS just sounds really good with magnaflows....not obnoxiously loud like a mod motor but a nice low rumble.

So basically, If I get the stock cats posted above and some new mag mufflers and tips. I'd be doing a whole new system for about $800. That's not bad considering I wouldn't mind a little louder rumble then stock.

So basically, If I get the stock cats posted above and some new mag mufflers and tips. I'd be doing a whole new system for about $800. That's not bad considering I wouldn't mind a little louder rumble then stock.

Stock has no rumble at all.

And yes my magnaflows were $70 each. It would close to that yes.

Members online

No members online now.
Back