Cadillac CTS Suspension Question

C

CTSLover

So if i want to lower the car a little and improve the handling, i should just get a pair of those H&Rs or whatever, i don't really need to worry about the shocks...? And didn't one of you guys was that the shocks were the same in the "sport" and base CTS?

The shocks are different in the Base and Sport version CTS.
The Sport version is much stiffer and feels much more stable at high speeds. It uses a Nivomat self-leveling shock in the rear for load leveling too. From what I have read, there isn't a problem with lowering the car using the stock shocks.

CTSLover said:
So if i want to lower the car a little and improve the handling, i should just get a pair of those H&Rs or whatever, i don't really need to worry about the shocks...? And didn't one of you guys was that the shocks were the same in the "sport" and base CTS?

First off,...hello everyone, this is my first post here. I am a GM tech at a Cadillac/Hummer/Saturn dealer. Myself and one other out of the 25 or so, work primarily on the High performance cars. We do supercharger instals, to turbochargers, to suspension systems, to full exhaust systems, to visual mods. So, any help I can be, email me or just simply post it, and I will reply asap.

whew...

Now,..CTSVLOVER.....you could JUST change your springs but, let me be the first among many to tell you your only doing half of the job brother. Whenever going to a shorter spring, or for that matter, simply a stiffer spring, you MUST change the shocks for best possible performance/ride quality. A better shock doesnt have to mean a stiffer ride. There is always adjustable shocks, which is what I would recommend. You can adjust it super soft, in a matter of seconds, go for a ride, pullover, stop, get out, turn a nob, and BAM, you have a stiffer shock/ride.

I'd recommend a coilover shock, for full ride hight, and ride quality.

V-seriesTech said:
First off,...hello everyone, this is my first post here. I am a GM tech at a Cadillac/Hummer/Saturn dealer. Myself and one other out of the 25 or so, work primarily on the High performance cars. We do supercharger instals, to turbochargers, to suspension systems, to full exhaust systems, to visual mods. So, any help I can be, email me or just simply post it, and I will reply asap.

whew...

Now,..CTSVLOVER.....you could JUST change your springs but, let me be the first among many to tell you your only doing half of the job brother. Whenever going to a shorter spring, or for that matter, simply a stiffer spring, you MUST change the shocks for best possible performance/ride quality. A better shock doesnt have to mean a stiffer ride. There is always adjustable shocks, which is what I would recommend. You can adjust it super soft, in a matter of seconds, go for a ride, pullover, stop, get out, turn a nob, and BAM, you have a stiffer shock/ride.

I'd recommend a coilover shock, for full ride hight, and ride quality.

Hey V-seriesTech,
I've got a couple of questions for you. I tried to e-mail you but it says your not excepting them.

Forgive me for my ignorance but I'm new to Cadillacs. Have you ever heard of QA1 shocks? I have an account through them and one of the guys there told me that they are making a prototype coilover for the V's. Is the V shock body the same as the base and sport models? Do they just have a lower spring rate? Like you mentioned above, adjustable shocks and coilovers are the better way to go. I liked to go this route but I want to make sure that the shock body is the same for all models but have different spring rates.

Dan

05CTS said:
Hey V-seriesTech,
I've got a couple of questions for you. I tried to e-mail you but it says your not excepting them.

Forgive me for my ignorance but I'm new to Cadillacs. Have you ever heard of QA1 shocks? I have an account through them and one of the guys there told me that they are making a prototype coilover for the V's. Is the V shock body the same as the base and sport models? Do they just have a lower spring rate? Like you mentioned above, adjustable shocks and coilovers are the better way to go. I liked to go this route but I want to make sure that the shock body is the same for all models but have different spring rates.

Dan

sorry bout the email thing, not sure whats up. www.jwells@veramotorsports.com just incase you had/have a different one.
I have heard of Qa1 shocks, their badass shocks. I've seen them on just about every fast F-body(camaro/transam). See them on alot of stangs.

As far as I know, I havent seen any change in suspension pieces from the V to the 6cylinder cts, besides the obvious stiffer spring/shock set up, as well as larger sway bars. All mounting locations are the same. nothing changes. a kit that is made for the CTS will/should bolt to the CTS-V BUT, I wouold highly recommend buying a kit specific to the V,...as the spring rate will/should be different for the car with the better drivetrain(high output motor).

If QA1 is makeing a kit for the V, I would strongly recommend the kit, without even seeing it. I know their product for other cars, and I would expect the same quality for the V.

Now dan, do you have a V, or do you have the CTS?

if so, here is something for the cts
... http://www.rsmracing.com/ctssuspension.htm

V-seriesTech said:
sorry bout the email thing, not sure whats up. www.jwells@veramotorsports.com just incase you had/have a different one.
I have heard of Qa1 shocks, their badass shocks. I've seen them on just about every fast F-body(camaro/transam). See them on alot of stangs.

As far as I know, I havent seen any change in suspension pieces from the V to the 6cylinder cts, besides the obvious stiffer spring/shock set up, as well as larger sway bars. All mounting locations are the same. nothing changes. a kit that is made for the CTS will/should bolt to the CTS-V BUT, I wouold highly recommend buying a kit specific to the V,...as the spring rate will/should be different for the car with the better drivetrain(high output motor).

If QA1 is makeing a kit for the V, I would strongly recommend the kit, without even seeing it. I know their product for other cars, and I would expect the same quality for the V.

Now dan, do you have a V, or do you have the CTS?

if so, here is something for the cts
... http://www.rsmracing.com/ctssuspension.htm

Thanks for the response. If you don't mind I'de like to save your e-mail for when I have questions.

I thought that the shocks themselves were the same, just had different spring rates. Now I can move forward with what I am trying to do. I just have to figure out the different spring rates and see what works best. Thanks.

I'm not that fortunate enough to own a V. I sure wish i could have b/c I would have jumed all over it.

I saw the RSM website but I think those guys are very overpriced. I own a Corvette Mail-order warehouse so I have some connects and I'm going to try and fab up my own stuff and maybe open up an online store and start selling CTS & CTS-v parts. I know I can get parts made a hell of a lot cheaper and it will all be American made. I can understand the sway bars but the strut bar at $450 is insane. Especially knowing that the V strut bar is only $18.

Thanks again for your input and knowledge on this subject.

Dan

I saw the RSM website but I think those guys are very overpriced. I own a Corvette Mail-order warehouse so I have some connects and I'm going to try and fab up my own stuff and maybe open up an online store and start selling CTS & CTS-v parts. I know I can get parts made a hell of a lot cheaper and it will all be American made. I can understand the sway bars but the strut bar at $450 is insane. Especially knowing that the V strut bar is only $18.

Dan[/QUOTE]

Dan,..you sound like a smart dude, on the right path. YOu can make anything you want, just gotta have the eye for it, not to mention the correct tools. Fabbing stuff is always a self booster. I make alot of really cool one off parts, always unique for the particular auto i'm working on. Do what you can, as far as makeing your own parts.

You can always turbocharge your car. :dj:

...and then you won't need the V.

Feel free to email me anytime man, no problem,...i'll respond asap. Have fun with your ride.

Now to the important stuff...what kind of VETTE stuff do you distribute? seeing the corvette is my favorite car.

V-seriesTech said:

Dan

Dan,..you sound like a smart dude, on the right path. YOu can make anything you want, just gotta have the eye for it, not to mention the correct tools. Fabbing stuff is always a self booster. I make alot of really cool one off parts, always unique for the particular auto i'm working on. Do what you can, as far as makeing your own parts.

You can always turbocharge your car. :dj:

...and then you won't need the V.

Feel free to email me anytime man, no problem,...i'll respond asap. Have fun with your ride.

Now to the important stuff...what kind of VETTE stuff do you distribute? seeing the corvette is my favorite car.[/QUOTE]

Well I mostly have parts for the older vettes, 63-82. I supply most of the other Corvette Warehouse w/my suspension parts. I am the number 1 rebuilder for trailing arms. I do about 300 unit a month. I also make my own offset t-arms for wider tires in the back of the vettes and I am currenty working on coilover for the rear of the 63-79 vettes. It will eliminate the rear spring and of course they are QA1'a. LOL

You may know of a couple places such as Eckler's, Vette Brakes & Products, Corvette Central and Mid America just to name a few. I supply all of those guys plus the public as welll.

I do have other suspension parts for C4 & C5 vettes as well. Here's is my website. Check it out. Let me know what you think.

www.vansteel.com You can navigate through the site better by using the "Pull Down For Product Group" Bar on the upper right side.

Dan

BTW, I would love to supercharge my CTS but it's a lease, so thats out of the question until I buy one. Right now it's just a company car. Gotta love those write offs.LOL

CTSLover said:

Sorry I high-jacked your thread. If you can wait a couple of months until QA1 makes these available, this will be the absolute best way to go.

This is for V-Series Tech....I just bought a '03 CTS at the end of October and would like to add a SuperCharger...it already had a custom Corsa exhuast on it. So what kind of SuperCharger do you recomend for my CTS...(I'm going to try and post my pics at another time). Thanks

Richard R Bernard
SSG, US Army

Members online

Back