Buyng a used LTC or CDV. Need your advice.

FGS

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello, guys.

I am doing some research on large luxury sedans, namely the Lincoln Town Car and The Cadillac DeVille. I need to know basics about each model, such as general reliability, known trouble spots and general driving impressions.
As of now, I am leaning towards the LTC and this why I am posting in this specific forum.
I should add that I am not buying a new car. I am going to replace my daily driver that was recently totaled by a careless cab driver, and I am looking to spend roughly 15,000.
And since 15K probably only enough to buy a car around 4 to 6 years old, I am anticipanting that certain repairs or model-specific maintenance will be required.
Would you all be so kind as to let me benefit from your experiences?

Thanks.

FGS

I have a 91 Town car, but i would recommend a 2000 Cartier Town Car there are others on LVC who own that year of Town Car and they would be able to answer your questions.

pepperman said:
I have a 91 Town car, but i would recommend a 2000 Cartier Town Car there are others on LVC who own that year of Town Car and they would be able to answer your questions.

Tell me a little about your 91 TC. Have you had it long? Has it ben reliable?
Thanks!!

A lot depends on what model year you want to buy a TC... 90-97 have roughly the same body shape, and 98 is when the TC was completely remodeled, it went to a more rounded shape, instead of the standard "box"

97 had a plastic manifold which regularly failed needing replaceing, Ford has done a recall and replaced them...

The major thing to look for in a TC is the air suspension and the valve stem seals... Both cost a lot to repair at the dealerhsips, but can be done by a DIYer...

92 Arizona Towncar said:
A lot depends on what model year you want to buy a TC... 90-97 have roughly the same body shape, and 98 is when the TC was completely remodeled, it went to a more rounded shape, instead of the standard "box"

97 had a plastic manifold which regularly failed needing replaceing, Ford has done a recall and replaced them...

The major thing to look for in a TC is the air suspension and the valve stem seals... Both cost a lot to repair at the dealerhsips, but can be done by a DIYer...

Well, I was thinking to get a 98+ car. I like the more modern looks of that generation, plus I am trying to get a car as new as possible in an effort to ensure at least a few years of trouble free (or as much as possible) ownership.

And talking about the air springs, how many miles do they usually go before needing replacement?

Can you guys explain why (in your opinion) Lincoln Town Cars are mechanically superior to the Cadillac DeVille?
What makes the TC a better buy or value when compared to a contemporary DeVille?

Thanks!!

FGS

The Town Car's 4.6 is not as powerful as the deVille's Northstar, but it's quite a bit more reliable and is lower maintenance. The Northstar has a bit of a problem with headgaskets and other various items. If it's been well maintained by the previous owner, with a biyearly coolant change, then it's good to go. Otherwise if it doesn't have records, I'd be weary. The deVille does seem to have the more stout transmission though. I know that Ford had problems with their T/C trannys up until about 1995 or so, but I think after that they are pretty solid.

Between a 1997 Sedan deVille and a 1997 Town Car Signature Series, I'd take the Town Car. Because of the reliability issues, the fact its RWD, and I like the overall design more, plus it's got a lot of aftermarket for the 4.6, and the Northstar has virtually no aftermarket.

I have a 1992 Sedan deVille, 122k miles with the 4.9 V8. Very happy with it. Very reliable car, the only thing that's gone wrong is the water pump went at 119 miles, but that's just routine.

Well, I have been reading up and down the TC forum achives in an effort to identify the common troublespots and I have identified 4 different ones:
The AC blend door motor, the rear air suspension components , the plastic intake manifold (4.6L) and the valve guide seals (4.6L). I have some questions about each one of those issues.

AC blend door motor:
Apparently a pain in the behind to change once it fails. But, lets assume the car is only driven in very hot / humid environments (think South Florida for instance) where it is very unlikely anyone will use the heat at all, and as a consequence of this, the blend door (which , if I understand correctly mixes hot and cold air to reach a desired temperature) sees very little action.

Will this lack of constant use have a possitive effect on the life to the blend door motor? Is it the constant use what breaks them?

Rear air suspension:
Is there anything that can be done for extending the life of the air springs?
Maybe applying armor all ( or a similar substance) to them to prevent the cracking?
Yeah I know, sounds far fetched , but I had to ask.:)

4.6L Plastic Intake Manifold:
If I end up buying a car with moderate mileage (lets say 40 to 60 K miles) and it has the plastic intake manifold, should I change it right away?
What is the danger to the engine if it breaks?
Rockauto.com sells a replacement manufactured by Dorman at a very reasonable price. Is an aftermarket replacement Ok, or should I go with the Ford OEM part?

4.6L Engine valve guide seals:
Do you guys know if all the 4.6L engines suffer from this problem?
Was this problem addressed during any of the re-designs?
Do the engine sealers that work by expanding the rubber seals work for this problem?
If changing the seals, should I go with Ford OEM parts or aftermarket (FEL-PRO or similar)?

Thank you for your time, guys.

92SedandeVille-TownCar94 said:
The Town Car's 4.6 is not as powerful as the deVille's Northstar, but it's quite a bit more reliable and is lower maintenance. The Northstar has a bit of a problem with headgaskets and other various items. If it's been well maintained by the previous owner, with a biyearly coolant change, then it's good to go. Otherwise if it doesn't have records, I'd be weary. The deVille does seem to have the more stout transmission though. I know that Ford had problems with their T/C trannys up until about 1995 or so, but I think after that they are pretty solid.

Between a 1997 Sedan deVille and a 1997 Town Car Signature Series, I'd take the Town Car. Because of the reliability issues, the fact its RWD, and I like the overall design more, plus it's got a lot of aftermarket for the 4.6, and the Northstar has virtually no aftermarket.

I have a 1992 Sedan deVille, 122k miles with the 4.9 V8. Very happy with it. Very reliable car, the only thing that's gone wrong is the water pump went at 119 miles, but that's just routine.

Leaving mechanical considerations aside, which of your cars would you say is the most comfortable?

2002 and older..towncar all the way. 2003+ deville hands down.
in 2003 the northstar recieved a revision, and is a much better engine.

people are going to tell you of these huge costly repairs your going to have with either one, if you cant afford the repairs, but a hyundai because neither car is cheap to work on.
lincoln has air bags in the back which replace the coilspring, and have a lifespan, theyre not supposed to be a lifetime component. everything wears, people seem to forget that. so they go out, over extend themselves by buying a car they think makes them look better and then when something goes wrong with it and they cant afford to fix it because it is a more highly sophisticated vehicle, they piss and moan about it.
you can replace the air bags in a town car for 400 dollars. 250 for parts and 150 for labor, dont get them from the ford house though or get the work done there. if you can turn a wrench, then you can change them out. i changed the ones in my last town car when i was 19 and im not a car buff.
cadillacs suspension is way more costly to replace, and in my opinion isnt on par with what a luxury car should be.
and honestly, cadillac didnt figure out how to do an interior until 06. the 98-present towncar interior is the sexiest ive ever seen.
my 99 towncar handles and rides like a dream, its not the most powerful car on the road, but it can hold its own no matter what neighborhood i am in.

if you go for the lincoln, get a cartier or a signature touring sedan. the touring sedans are kind of rare, but very sweet cars, i would have bought the one i test drove if it would have had 30,000 less miles on it. im not making a monthly payment on something that is going to be at 100,000 miles before the first 2 years of the loan are paid off.

the 00 devilles are some sexy cars, id lovvvvvvvvvvve to have a dhs with the night vision and all the options. but for that body style, id reccomend an 03.

either way youre going to be pulling into your driveway with a better car than your neighbor, so pick the one you like best.

FGS said:
Leaving mechanical considerations aside, which of your cars would you say is the most comfortable?

From what I've driven, I'd have to say the Town Car.

The most comfortable modern Town Car is the '91-'94 Signature Series. The front seats in that are the most comfortable! They're very deep and plush! Other than that, the Town Car always seemed like it had the more cushy seats. But the deVilles were always more supportive and modern.

And with the rear air springs, the Town Car is almost unbeatable in the riding department. Plus, the '96 Executive Series I almost bought was much quietier on the freeway than my '92 deVille.

But the Town Car seems much larger behind the wheel, and the handling isn't as good as the deVilles nor is it as easy to park.

Members online

Back