Buying a lincoln

glyakk

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a Continental. I have a few friends who are huge bmw fans and think I am crazy for wanting a 'big fat American car'. Oh well...

Anyway, I am trying to research if there are any inherent problems with the 98-02 Continental? I did a few searches on the forums and didn't really find anything consistently wrong with these cars like weak head gaskets or shoddy gearboxes. Is that true? Also, Is there anything in particular i should look for such as special packages that i might find a good deal on? I appreciate any information anybody can give.

I just bought a 2000 Continental w/87k. It has everything except steering wheel audio controls and the now defunct Ford Rescue Sys., and every thing works. In '02 the turned in fleet lease cars were retailing for around 12-14k w/ 85k-95k miles, depending on options. I got mine for 5700 from a friend in the business. I love driving this car. It's no BMW or Mercedes, but it's very popular and cheaper to maitain. I'll be making a sleeper out fo mine w/bolt on goodies until the trans needs new life, then I'll add the real punch.
Good luck w/ whatever you chose

98-02 Don't have any problems. They ride nice and have alot of power and are quiet. I would get one with the 2 tone leather and wood steering wheel with bucket seats, not that god awful bench one. The conti is a real nice car.

Thanks guys for the tips. Yea I prefer bucket seats as well, but my wife likes to lay down on my lap during long trips so I may not have a choice but to get bench seats unfortunately.

Thanks guys for the tips. Yea I prefer bucket seats as well, but my wife likes to lay down on my lap during long trips so I may not have a choice but to get bench seats unfortunately.

Man, that is unfortunate! ;)

LOL, thats the only reason a man should say no to bucket seats. As far as big goes, you would never know it from behind the wheel. No boat ride at all.

ultimate car

I had a 97 conti but when i spied the 98 i traded in right away. Theres nothing like being on the highway running at 75mph and lay into it at the bottom of a high rise ahead. These things breath TORQUE and comfort (heated seats). My 98 has 87k and just tires, wiper blades, filters and fluid changes (religiously). only small sections at the rear can rust so these things will be around for a long time with some tlc.........................

I'm 21, and drive a 97 Continental. To put it simply I love it, it's not a car that most people would picture someone in my age group driving but.... I wouldn't have it any other way. It's comfortable, and powerful. Beats driving a Honda any day of the week. Continentals for the most part have always been in my family and as the person previous to me stated, as long as you just keep up with your basic maintenance these vehicles will last a long long time!

Does your 97 have a cd player in it now? I also have a 97 conti but mine did not come with a factory cd player. I really would prefer to have the head unit that originally came with a conti but have not had any luck getting one even from the dealer that would work with my speakers. Any suggestions??

When Stock (Original factory) My conti came with a Full JBL package that included a Cd Changer in the Armrest. I've upgraded various things in the car since obtaining it, that includes the Sound System. It now has a Full Pioneer Sound System including Head Unit and Cd Changer. I would recommend getting an aftermarket cd changer and getting a plug to go from the cd changer to your head unit. If you go to a custom stereo shop they should be able to assist you more with your particular situation. Just make sure and tell them you want to keep your factory head unit

The biggest weakness is the Torque Converter, yet that usually goes out when the car IS NOT serviced well, or is terribly abused. Mostly on 99-2002 since these were the year that Ford Added an extra 15HP over the 260. But don't be afraid of that.

Those failures u mentioned plagued the v6 version up till 94 which was the last year. 95-96 were good but Air Suspension reliability was terrible. 97 and up is all good since ford scrapped the front air springs for coil springs . But I recommend 1998-2002.

This may seem scary but BMW's are sophisticated, but they are much more problematic and costly when it comes to make repairs. Heck you can't even change u're own transmission fluid on a BMW since It's a Sealed unit.

I know this since I'm in the car business.

Iodification Information

Well I've read everything about this car I could find and if you want it to be MORE of a sleeper than it already is, you'll need lots of money. And a shop that can do MAJOR custom work. First this this is a Taurus Platform car, with lots of differences, EXCEPT the most important one, the transmission is the exact same one as the Taurus has "ax4n", a good (not GREAT) tranny for the v6 taurus. but with 275 hp and 275 torque from the Inec, you cannot add much more power without really shortening the life of your trans. There are some mods for the trans available but this car is a BITCH to work on the trans so be prepared for some HEAVY labor costs. Next is the intake, you can find some help around here if you look had enough, but save your time and just find a shop that does custom work, oh but wait man there ain't much room under the hood is there. My OPINION is to relocate the battery to the rear, and work around that area, maybe remove the :q:q:q:q inside the fender and go from there, again lots of custom work for a GOOD and true COLD AIR intake. Now here is the good news, apparently the motor is similar enough to the cobra mustang 4.6, to use the headers from it but my guess is that the transverse mount and the transmission are going to present problems there too but at least the part is there... maybe, AGAIN CUSTOM! man I feel like
I am repeating myself here. Okay now cat back is almost always a good idea for more power, and its not to hard with an X pipe ,and just the normal amount of custom work for exhaust you could be the proud owner of a Conti with TRUE DUAL exhaust. COOL! Following all that there is also rumored to be a CHIP available for the ECU but that I have not confirmed through more than one guy, so who knows, I'm sure there is SOME chip that will do SOMETHING?!@#* but what for sure is unknown as far as hp/ torque gains. WANNA GET NUTS! try finding a supercharger for that Mustang cobra 4.6, except I heard that the way it mounts on the InTec the pulley for the blower is on the wrong side, again only heard that from one source so heck who knows. Uhh hmm crap lost my train of thought... Oh if yer REALLY nuts just mod the trans to take more power and No2 it till she blows, on second thought Nitrous is stupid for a daily driver so strike that. More BIG MONEY can be spent on porting and polishing the intake and heads, but I've heard tell of Really decent gains from those mods. Theres always the suspension to worry about, the SEMI-ACTIVE system in this car is freakin expensive to replace with original eqipment or similar, but I think there are some options there as far as the rear air leveling and front struts go. FINALLY (I think) Is the engine swap to the taurus sho motor made by Yamaha and the manual transmission from the same car I believe. you can spend alot of time looking around here to confirm all this or you can start saving, this car was just not built for EASY modding. But with time and lots of money, you could have one SWEET sleeper. GOOD LUCK!

P.S. anyone else who reads this please let me know what you think of my compilation of all the info on here, I think I got the majority of the important stuff, but if I missed something, let Us (98-02 Conti owners) know.

Good Review. All I have thus far is a K&N Filter :( but as mentioned above I will be getting exhaust done, and removing the air silence. Finding all these parts isn't as hard as mentioned though. Contact Lincolnmotorsport.com and talk to Geno he'll be able to help with most all of this ;)

There is also a big brake kit available, you must have 17" wheels or larger. I forget the site. I found it searching the LSC forum.

The only supercharger that will fit is a cetrifical. With custom pipeing. No other intake will work. The openings will face the fire wall with no room for intake tubes. You can put a tune on it and adjust the shift points. The third o2 sensor can be turned off while doing this. It's gonna run some loot for duals, seing thier is no room under the car. A hand made X or triple will have to be made. Also their is a shift kit thru b&m

I have a 2000 Continental with everything but the run-flat tires. It's pearl white, with dark tinted windows, with rear window in limo black. Two tone leather, wood wheel. I got this car as a lease return from Universal Studios, and they used it for VIPs only. It had 20,000 miles and has 80,000 miles on it now. I have replaced nothing on this car but one set of brakes, and now the light on the clock has gone out. What a change from the five Cadillacs I had before this. I must have been paying the rent on the Cadillac dealership!!! I have many friends with M/B and BMW and they are always repairing or replacing something. Reminiscient of an XKE I once had, many years ago. With the Ride adjustment set to firm and the steering set to hard, it handles extremely well, and is a gas to drive. I couldn't be happier and would recommend this car to anyone.

Members online

No members online now.
Back