Buying a Lincoln LS V8

joelincolnV8

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I found a 2000 Lincoln LS V8 with 83,000 miles on it.

Theyre asking 4995.

Just wanted you guys' opinions on it.
It doesn't have the selector shift transmission so i guess that means its not a sport model?

Thanks

Maintenance and Repair

Consumer Reports gives it a below average for just about everything...

On car subjects, I wouldn't believe CR if they said it was daytime and I could see the sun! I've put 144K miles on my '02 and been fairly tough on it, and I still drive it every day. Pay attention to maintenance and the repair is not excessive. You'll be able to see threads here regarding the common problems and the way to fix them.

Welcome!!!:)

KS

I have had my LS8 from 19-113K miles. It has been one of the more unrelible cars that I have owned. It has never left me stranded, just required more repairs and maintenence than I am used to. It has however been the most satisfying modern car that I have owned and for that I recommend it.

I have my 2001 LS 5spd with 180k and it has been a pretty expensive car after the first 120k miles. Problems that can't be solved, different (expensive) issues keep coming up... I would stay away.

2000 V6 LS with 170K+ miles. I have had to do the, IMHO, normal maintenance that would have to be done on any modern car. The hydraulic fan can be problematic, but it appears that changing the fluid helps with the pumps longevity. It seems the new coil design has solved that issue; same with the valve cover gaskets.

Go for it if you can do most of the work yourself, or don't mind spending the money. It would still be cheaper than the payments on a new car.

Consumer Reports doesn't generally keep me from buying a vehicle unless it's really bad. I bought an Aerostar van that CR claimed was terrible, lasted me 15 years and 180k before the tranny blew up. Only maintenance issue was having the front/rear AC fixed once and that was a grand to fix. Anyway, you will have maintenance with a new vehicle so why not save the money. 83k on a vehicle wouldn't bother me too much. I worry about 100k or more miles and look into what's been done or hasn't been done. I'd buy it at that price.

Yeah most cars with that amount of mileage would be much newer.

This should be a steal.

With that many years, you better hope all the expensive "Maintenance" has already been done.

This car has so many plastic cooling system parts that all seem to blow around the same mileage, about 80,000 to 100,000 miles. Parts cost alone is well over $600 if you replace all the parts that SHOULD be replaced. If you have a dealer do it, expect to pay well over $1500 from what I have read here.

Be SURE to test your air conditioning. When the DCCV valve goes, all you get is either all heat or heat on one side no matter what the temperature setting is. I think the part is $150+ and the dealer will rape you even though it is maybe a 15 minute job.

Then there are wheel bearings, my first one went somewhere around 50K I now have the opposite side humming along. Dealers are something like over $1,000 per side. Parts is about $150 each, and I hear it is a PITA to do yourself. I have NEVER owned any car that needed new bearings, guess the new style ABS/hub/bearing assembly is just a routine maintenance item.

Of course all the coils will have needed to be replaced well before 100K miles. I forget, something like $50 each?? Labor? don't know but I bet the dealer charges more than a bit. I have read this is easy, mine were replaced under warranty.

Tranny probably will need significant service. Mine needed a minor rebuild at about 15,000 miles, yup 15K not 150K.

Most of my major problems except cooling were taken care of under warranty, but now the car is starting to nickle and dime me to death with continuing PITA type repairs.

I HAVE been stranded more than a couple times, all cooling related due to me not being smart enough to replace ALL cooling parts when the first one blew.

I WILL NOT buy another lincoln, this one has really soured my taste. I have owned several Fords in the past 25 years, and the LS and an 89 SHO have almost soured me on Ford too.

My oldest son will inherit the LS next year, muuuaaaahhhahhhahhahhaha.

Maybe I was unlucky, maybe you will be lucky. But in this case I tend to agree with Consumer Reports about poor reliability. Thank heavens I know which end of the wrench is pointy or I would have spent a fortune in the last couple years, with more coming.

Not a car for the mechanically inept or those without some bucks to spare.

Good Luck, my next car is going to be a Hyundai/Kia or Chebby, all with 100K mile warranties.

Beach Beach Beach, all I do.

Jim Henderson

Remember, most internet posts are about bad things. It's the same as a call to a retailer. Very few, if any, calls are about good service; people call to complain. Internet forums are the same. The quality of the vast majority of LSes is just fine.

And ive heard worse from other luxury vehicle brands.

All of these new modern vehicles require much of the same maintenance. Lots of sensors, plastic parts...heck i think a lot of the stuff breaks down on purpose just so they can get you back in to service the vehicle.

Older vehicles you could hammer things together and they worked....touch the wrong thing in a modern vehicle and its screwed.

Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Audi....all four make $40,000 and up vehicles just like the LS but cost way more to maintain.

It's been mentioned before here, and that is at least the LS has almost the same exact problems on every one of them. Wheel bearings, coils, fan, ghost beeps etc. VS. out of left-field break downs and issues. Of course there is always the exception, but at least we all have experience on similar issues and can help each other that way.

For me, even though my car needed some serious maintenance when I first bought it, I knew what I was getting into thanks to this site and that helped me prepare for it so my feelings wouldn't get hurt.

I'm keeping mine around for a long while and I would most definitely buy another one. :D

With that many years, you better hope all the expensive "Maintenance" has already been done.

This car has so many plastic cooling system parts that all seem to blow around the same mileage, about 80,000 to 100,000 miles. Parts cost alone is well over $600 if you replace all the parts that SHOULD be replaced. If you have a dealer do it, expect to pay well over $1500 from what I have read here.

Be SURE to test your air conditioning. When the DCCV valve goes, all you get is either all heat or heat on one side no matter what the temperature setting is. I think the part is $150+ and the dealer will rape you even though it is maybe a 15 minute job.

Then there are wheel bearings, my first one went somewhere around 50K I now have the opposite side humming along. Dealers are something like over $1,000 per side. Parts is about $150 each, and I hear it is a PITA to do yourself. I have NEVER owned any car that needed new bearings, guess the new style ABS/hub/bearing assembly is just a routine maintenance item.

Of course all the coils will have needed to be replaced well before 100K miles. I forget, something like $50 each?? Labor? don't know but I bet the dealer charges more than a bit. I have read this is easy, mine were replaced under warranty.

Tranny probably will need significant service. Mine needed a minor rebuild at about 15,000 miles, yup 15K not 150K.

Most of my major problems except cooling were taken care of under warranty, but now the car is starting to nickle and dime me to death with continuing PITA type repairs.

I HAVE been stranded more than a couple times, all cooling related due to me not being smart enough to replace ALL cooling parts when the first one blew.

I WILL NOT buy another lincoln, this one has really soured my taste. I have owned several Fords in the past 25 years, and the LS and an 89 SHO have almost soured me on Ford too.

My oldest son will inherit the LS next year, muuuaaaahhhahhhahhahhaha.

Maybe I was unlucky, maybe you will be lucky. But in this case I tend to agree with Consumer Reports about poor reliability. Thank heavens I know which end of the wrench is pointy or I would have spent a fortune in the last couple years, with more coming.

Not a car for the mechanically inept or those without some bucks to spare.

Good Luck, my next car is going to be a Hyundai/Kia or Chebby, all with 100K mile warranties.

Beach Beach Beach, all I do.

Jim Henderson

You want to spend $15,000 on a car or $450,000 - doesn't make a difference. They are all gonna come with their own problems.
It all comes down to being lucky and getting a good one out of the bunch.

I was probably unlucky, but still after owning many cars(Datsun/nissan(2) Chebby(2), Ford/Merc/Linc(5), Dodge(1), Pontiac TA(1), most for 100K or more miles, the LS and SHO have caused me the most problems and irritating repairs. From the LS and SHO forums, the problems I had with either car were common, so not just my bad luck.

BUT, I have freinds who have owned the "Fine" German and Japanese cars, and you are correct. All cars have problems and most of them foreign ones cost way more than a US made car does to get parts. I recall my 74 Datsun truck needing parts that cost 2 to 4 times what an American equivalent does, come on a Datsun?? My Dad's old Mercedes 560 was worth nothing when he got rid of it at 100K miles or so due to tranny issues and engine leaks, same with several other friends who had Benz's.

Still, in my experience, the LS has been a less than satisfying experience. I like tinkering with my cars, but the LS wants too much of my time.

One commonality I have noted, is that cars with less common drive trains cost more to fix and have odd problems that are common to the breed. The SHO and LS have uncommon engines so parts are $$$ and problems are a pita. My chebby SS with a small block was cheap and easy to maintain the few times it needed it. My Ford 460 is a tank and is fairly trouble free. Other cars with vanilla engine/trannies were good runners for me, like the TA and TubroCoupe.

The key to the LS is have already had the "maintenance" items replaced. Then it should be good for another 80-100K. So maybe my son will be lucky whenb he gets the LS next year. Or, he will get to learn car repair, harharharhar.

Just my experiences,

Jim Henderson

Members online

No members online now.
Back