Buying a 95 Mark VIII - boggy acceleration?

Thefinalf33r

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m interested in buying a 95 Mark VIII from a seller about an hour and half away from me, the seller is saying the car sat for a year, and it turns on and will idle fine, but bogs down when accelerating, could this just be a mix of bad gas and old spark plugs? I’d like to buy the car since it’s a great price, but I’d have to drive it back home on the interstate as I don’t have a towing vehicle.

Depending on how many gallons of old gas are in the tank... you may want to take some empty gas cans with you... and see if the owner has some too.

Also take a couple full cans with you... and buy a new fuel filter for it... and a can of Seafoam fuel system cleaner... and a can of throttle body cleaner.

Make sure the battery is in good shape in the vehicle, and has a full charge.

Disconnect the fuel filter on the engine side... and clamp a rubber hose to it. Turn on the key, (not start) ... and let the fuel pump run.

Pump the old fuel into the empty gas cans until the fuel pump stops pumping fuel. Swap in the new fuel filter... and reconnect the fuel line to the engine.

Add the Seafoam to the tank... and then put in the fuel you brought... so the Seafoam mixes. One can treats around 20 gallons... but it wouldn't hurt to mix it a little strong... like 1/3 can to 5 gallons.

Then disconnect the air intake and spray the throttle body cleaner in the throttle body. Open the butterfly by hand... so you can get it really clean.

Then start it up and see if it runs better. If not... it's probably going to take more effort to get it running correctly. As long as the plugs are good and the engine isn't misfiring... you should be GTG.

Members online

Back