Buying a 2001 Lincoln LS [First car]

Yar1

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I am looking at a 2001 lincoln ls for my first car with a sport package. I was just wondering if you guys had any tips or pointers for me to check out before buying one.

Thanks.
~YarOne~

first of all, we need more info like how many miles it has, a pic if you have any but these are the standard stuff you need to look for on a GEN 1 LS first is rough idle, if it jumps or studders when on park or on a stop light its most likely that the coils needs to be replaced when changing the coils if they find oil in the plug wells then the gaskets also needs to be replaced this is a very common issue with GEN 1. second thing is turn on the AC to 60 and if the AC is cold then turn it to 90 if it gets really hot then your fine, now if the ac stays cold when you get to 90 then most likely your DCCV is bad and this is a common issue. if the ac does not get cold at all it can either be a stuck DCCV or no freon. also if the car turns on the fan in full force then you may have cracks in the over flow bottle, also very common issue. when shifting from park to reverse and you get a thump then the solenoid pack and a oil change for your tranny is needed. soo go do a test drive and take some picks so we can verify you actually got a sports package and let us know if you find any issues when test driving.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=61616

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=76318

Coils,oil in spark plug wells, whether or not valve cover gaskets have been replaced, whether or not cam tensioners have been replaced, whether or not solenoids for transmission/transmission fluid have been replaced, whether or not the degas bottle has been replaced, push down on all 4 corners and check for unpleasant sounds ( thumpbs, knocks, creaks, groans) for suspension wear, check all the electronics, all interior hardware, locks windows, post pics and some more info on it

Also keep in mind that while they have devalued heavily they are still luxury cars and you'll be paying a premium for replacement parts as they become scarcer and scarcer over time. This is not really the most budget friendly car especially for a first that's bound to get its ass kicked so bear in mind that just because it costs the same as a Honda up front doesn't mean it will be as cheap as a Honda to maintain.

Get a Gen II. Unless you know what you are doing mechanically, the Gen I can set you back a little. I have a Gen I because my father gave it to me after he retired to Panama. I've never had a problem with the Gen I since I've taken ownership, except for the little oil leak, parts on order, but the Gen II fixes most of the Gen I problems, minus the crappy coil on plugs. You need to take the car to a mechanic or a Lincoln dealer for a second opinion before you buy. Spend the $100 at the Lincoln dealer on a diagnostic test and a look over before you buy. If it's from a Lincoln dealer, have them run a diagnostic and show you the print out. Be sure the car is sound before purchasing is all I'm saying.

How good of an example of a used car is it? Regardless of year? Gen 1 is not the plague. LOL.

Great information, thank you very much. I went and test drove one at a dealer and everytime I hit the gas, it would thump and take a while to get up to speed. I think it was the coil pack and you guys said.

@Chocolat1701: About 80K miles, if I find one im serious about I will deffinitely post it on here. And, I will make sure I check those things before buying!

@Shredicus: I do get what you mean.. unfortunatly.That is a nice little check list. Going over everything is a must because I dont have very deep pockets. ( Nice car btw )

@Centason: hmm, gen II are more expensive but it does seem they save more money in the long run. And a mechanic check will be in order!

Much apprecitated!

I'm pretty handy with tools and what not. I dont plan on being able to perform an engine swap but mid pack stuff is't too hard. I know gen I is't horrible, they just become difficult at times (LOL), but it would be a moddest car with about 80K worth of miles on it and I plan on getting it on good shape. I also plan to have to fix a FEW minor things on it, as with any used car.

I'd say if you're mechanically inclined and the car has 80k on it and was moderately well-maintained you'll be in good shape

The deep pocket factor should not be ignored unless your mechanical.
agreed, it can be awful expensive to keep a great LS in good condition. it can be down right bankrupting if the car is not in great condition to begin with.

I got the LS for my first car but I can afford it and don't regret buying it. I had to replace most of the cooling system and thermostat and the parts alone were around $300+. I'm not going to pry into how much you make but also keep in mind these cars don't get very good gas mileage and should only take premium fuel.

I wouldn't buy one for my first car personally gen1 or a gen 2 for that matter. I do love my car though.

Members online

No members online now.
Back