Broken ignition switch

Abbens

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So I was driving last night the front air bags got low while driving, I hit a big pot hole going 50mph. When I tried to take my keys out of the ignition they wouldnt come out!. The switch doesn't go to where I can remove my keys it doesnt even go back to where I can only play the radio. So I got them out by pulling and yanking them out. Here is the kicker now the car will start without the key. Is there a way I can fix it without going to the dealer? thanks.

I had this issue 2 years ago, I could also remove the key while the car was running. I left it that way forever but 3 weeks ago something inside the cylinder broke off as I was leaving a gas station & the key wouldn't go into the cylinder all of the way. Well, the cylinder managed to lock itself & I was stuck. If you buy another cylinder, replacing it is simple, as long as the key is in & the ignition & is on. Remove the plastic cover but unscrew the tilt lever first.3 screws on the bottom & 1 screw on the back behind the keyhole. A flathead screwdriver will pop off your key handle allowing the cover to come off. There is a wire attached to a clip attached to the front of the cylinder. This pops off easily.Now, you'll wanna put your key in & turn it to the ON position, but not started. the bottom of the ket cylinder housing has a small hole in it. This holds a pin that holds the cylinder in the housing. This can be pushed, or tapped up into the cylinder & the cylinder can now be pulled from the housing by pulling on your key. The new cylinder & key need to be turned ON as well & you'll slide it back in until the pin clicks into place. Now you'll have 3 keys for your car! You can also have a locksmith do it & still save big compared to a fresh ass-raping from the dealer. $70 to $160. Mine was not that easy as my ignition was not able to be turned ON ,which unlocks the retaining pin that I referred to.

I had this issue 2 years ago, I could also remove the key while the car was running. I left it that way forever but 3 weeks ago something inside the cylinder broke off as I was leaving a gas station & the key wouldn't go into the cylinder all of the way. Well, the cylinder managed to lock itself & I was stuck. If you buy another cylinder, replacing it is simple, as long as the key is in & the ignition & is on. Remove the plastic cover but unscrew the tilt lever first.3 screws on the bottom & 1 screw on the back behind the keyhole. A flathead screwdriver will pop off your key handle allowing the cover to come off. There is a wire attached to a clip attached to the front of the cylinder. This pops off easily.Now, you'll wanna put your key in & turn it to the ON position, but not started. the bottom of the ket cylinder housing has a small hole in it. This holds a pin that holds the cylinder in the housing. This can be pushed, or tapped up into the cylinder & the cylinder can now be pulled from the housing by pulling on your key. The new cylinder & key need to be turned ON as well & you'll slide it back in until the pin clicks into place. Now you'll have 3 keys for your car! You can also have a locksmith do it & still save big compared to a fresh ass-raping from the dealer. $70 to $160. Mine was not that easy as my ignition was not able to be turned ON ,which unlocks the retaining pin that I referred to.

Thanks for the long post. I don't have the problem you have, mine is where I can turn the whole ignition without the key. I can put the key in it but then I cannot get it out again. Also it doesn't go to the off position it goes to the position right before off thats how I turn the car off.

Members online

No members online now.
Back