Broken Headlight Adjustment Post

MN12hybrid

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I may have just pissed on my own parade. I recently got some good headlights of mark at the wrecking yard, but then noticed tonight that one of the adjustment posts (the top one) on passenger side headlight broke off. I was going to take these apart and restore them since my lights on my mark now are in REAL bad shape.

If I find the piece the broke off I will try to glue it back with something crazy strong like JB weld.. Or should I not bother and just try to find another headlight? I never seem to run into good headlights at the wrecking yard, so its supremely frustrating to have this happen. Unfortunately, Marshall Spider is not able to web it together this time... Next time I wont be so careless...

headlights.jpg

headlights2.jpg

Thank you - I looked closer after you mentioned that, and it looks like there is a fitting at the base, and the piece in the middle of that is what broke off.

Is that whole fitting (the plastic wing nut sort of shaped piece) supposed to twist off and its combined with the rod in the center, or is it actually 2 separate pieces?

I wanted to try twisting the fitting at the base since it looks like that could possibly come off right there, but was afraid of cracking the housing.

basically a one piece post.
it does twist off, but old plastic is going to brittle, so you have to be very careful.

Is that the non-adj post, short/white? I've broken at least 3 of them. Get one like the short black one, it's adjustable. I did a few posts on how to remove them. Never had any luck finding any used ones. Without the short post, the light wont be tight. Lube it before you try to remove or install it. I use 2 small screwdrivers, thin ones, and pliers to remove them Pry up on the bowtie part,2 places, to clear the ramps, and twist with pliers. I broke mine while installing lights, and while adjusting, the white one goes POP, and takes flight. I'm going to adj the lights I just installed in my 94, and i'll take some pics.

Its weird because the piece I broke off with a long skinny piece. On the driver side, it was a short mount just like you mentioned. That kind of threw me off and I wondered why it was long only on 1 side. If those shorter and stockier ones will work then ill go for it. I was thinking of using a Dremel to smooth down the ridges, which should allow the bow-tie to twist easier (of course after lubing and letting it soak in). I left my heatgun at my GF's house, so this weekend I should be able to begin with the restoration of them. Even better, I should have my car back running within the next 3-4 weeks finally!! This Taurus beater of mine with a 3.0 slug motor is driving me nuts - slower than ****ing molasses!!

The broken piece is your headlamp's pivot mount. It stays in place while the other two, with the threaded shafts, are your vertical and horizontal adjustable headlamp mounts.

Swap the broken pivot mount with the good one that is on your car now.

I found an easy way to adjust these gen 1 headlamp adjusters. I use a tool bicycle shops use to tighten or loosen bicycle spoke nipples.
image.jpg

This spoke adjustment tool works better than anything else from my toolbox.

image.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back