Broken fuel pump elbow HELP!

joespanova

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I had , like an idiot , forgotten to install the new gasket on the pump top before connecting the lines. On the Delphi pump the plastic elbows WILL NOT just release their grip from the sockets on the top....even when squeezing the tabs....I had a hard time installing the larger one just getting it to seat I had to tap it with a small hammer while squeezing. Now that I needed to remove the pump to replaced the gasket I broke the plastic elbow.
Is there a repair for this and if not can I just get a new line and route it to the other side or where ever? 2000 LS 3.9

I had , like an idiot , forgotten to install the new gasket on the pump top before connecting the lines. On the Delphi pump the plastic elbows WILL NOT just release their grip from the sockets on the top....even when squeezing the tabs....I had a hard time installing the larger one just getting it to seat I had to tap it with a small hammer while squeezing. Now that I needed to remove the pump to replaced the gasket I broke the plastic elbow.
Is there a repair for this and if not can I just get a new line and route it to the other side or where ever? 2000 LS 3.9
99.9% Sure you can no longer get those plastic elbows anymore from Lincoln/Ford ...best route would be car-part.com ...hopefully you can find a Lincoln LS in your area at a salvage yard around you and can somehow grab a plastic elbow that's not broken

99.9% Sure you can no longer get those plastic elbows anymore from Lincoln/Ford ...best route would be car-part.com ...hopefully you can find a Lincoln LS in your area at a salvage yard around you and can somehow grab a plastic elbow that's not broken
I might be able to modify a brass 90 barbed to straight and machine the straight to the dia I need to make it work. I may also find some plastic barbed connectors....its going to be a PITA , but other than replacing the entire fuel line I dont know if you can even get that...

Scroll down to review with pic ( Hunter ) and read his review and see pics....

Amazon product ASIN B07QRY4HGD
Yes reviews are a good resource to use before buying a product but you remember also that every product out on the marketplace today has good and bad reviews...I bought many products that had a few bad reviews in my life but the result was extremely excellent for me ...the Spectra fuel pump was a direct fit for my LS and worked flawless ...no matter what product you buy that is Aftermarket it's going to be buyer beware...MotorCraft Fuel pump assembly was still around a few years ago not sure if its discontinued or not ...Its been a few years since I changed my Fuel pump assembly actually more than a few years but the Spectra fuel pump was $89.00 dollars at that time compared to $389.00 for the MotorCraft...I had a 2001 LS at the time and paid $800 for the car I couldn't justify spending that much money on a $800 dollar car

You can't really trust Amazon, they both copy products and sell as their own and use reviews from "similar products"

You can't really trust Amazon, they both copy products and sell as their own and use reviews from "similar products"
I totally agree ...Amazon is a GIANT SWAP MEET everyone and their grandma's dog sells on Amazon ...with that being said ...I can't afford to shop local stores...thanks to the 6.8 inflation rate in this country...and I have Prime so free shipping helps ...Rockauto and Amazon usually has the same parts only difference is I get free shipping with my prime so I save roughly $25-30 dollars on the same part going through Amazon

I totally agree ...Amazon is a GIANT SWAP MEET everyone and their grandma's dog sells on Amazon ...with that being said ...I can't afford to shop local stores...thanks to the 6.8 inflation rate in this country...and I have Prime so free shipping helps ...Rockauto and Amazon usually has the same parts only difference is I get free shipping with my prime so I save roughly $25-30 dollars on the same part going through Amazon
Oh for sure, i still order stuff on there too, but i just meant you have to be a little more careful where\who you order from on there.

What are the fuel pump elbows themselves actually called
This is a 2nd Gen Fuel pump assembly but they're called the same thing as 1st Gen 2000-2002
Screenshot_20220102-101321_Chrome.jpg

Thank you now if the parts store or any salvage yard has those I'ma get my baby fixed I also downloaded forscan and did that oh my my baby looks bad on paper but so good on the road she runs to good to have the things wrong that thing said it did but nonetheless I'm gonna have to work on fixing her cause she is just a cool fast car and I dig her thanks y'all have a wonderful new year and since these cars tend to have issues bet I be back asking something else til then thanks again

I can not find one of those couplings in any parts store or even listed online so far that i can order so my question now is why the sam hell did they make these killer vehicles so stinking ass backwards pardon my language but nothing on this car makes good sense to me from the transmission fluid having to be put in underneath it and not having a dipstick to check it with to the battery being in the trunk and why would you put a cooling system like that on anything but they are sleek and swift and so fast I cant help but love these cars and always will just had to vent sorry yall

nothing on this car makes good sense to me from the transmission fluid having to be put in underneath it and not having a dipstick to check it with to the battery being in the trunk

Many newer vehicles have had the dipstick/filler tube done away with over the last couple decades. It's not just Ford. It saves machining time (and CNC programming) along with not having to stamp/form the dipstick tube.

As far as the cooling/heating system... yeah they could have made it much simpler... but then you wouldn't have the climate control features like many modern cars today have.

Manufacturers are competing for consumer dollars... while trying to eliminate consumer self maintenance.

Many car owners don't do their own maintenance... and the manufacturer dealers rely on that to increase profits.

It's a money thing on both ends.

The battery in the trunk is a weight distribution thing. Besides that... putting the battery in the trunk keeps it out of the elements...along with many fuses and relays.

I think you will find many manufacturers doing the same thing... depending on the modle of vehicle.

No car that I have had in the last twenty years has had a transmission dipstick. The last one was a 2001 Ford Ranger. Not having that dipstick has not been a problem at all for me so far. Many cars now no longer have an engine oil dipstick either. Mine still do, and I don't like the idea of it not being there.
The LS cooling system could have been a lot better with better plastic material where the parts could only be made in plastic, and metal where they could have been metal, but note that after twenty something years, even metal can be a problem.
The battery in the trunk was and is a good idea. Better weight distribution, and much longer battery like. My current car also has the battery in the trunk.

Many cars now no longer have an engine oil dipstick either. Mine still do, and I don't like the idea of it not being there.

Yeah... I like being able to check the dipstick. Especially on higher mile vehicles that WILL consume oil.

That doesn't help with some people... cause they still seem to run an engine out of oil.

Joe,

On the ones that don't have a dipstick... do they at least have a low oil level sensor? Or maybe separate "full" and "low" sensors?

....On the ones that don't have a dipstick... do they at least have a low oil level sensor? Or maybe separate "full" and "low" sensors?
It varies as far as I know. Some BMWs have just a low, full, and high sensor. Some Jaguars have a linear level sensor and display similar to a fuel gauge.

My daughter's 325 had a pretty good setup. It still had a dipstick, and a low oil level sensor. For a half quart low, the warning would light up when you turned the car off. If it went to one quart low, it would light up all the time. I like having the dipstick to be able to verify oil quality as well as quantity.

Members online

Back