Broken Down!!!!

gm76053

LVC Member
Reaction score
So my altinator in my car decided to die for the second time since i had it i took it down to the dealer and they are charging me about 500 to fix it was is up with that?

yea thats for sure also would one of you guys know what can cause the altinator to blow? cause i have an amplifier and two subs in it and i don't know if that is whats causing it

Hello.Im not going to say for sure that the car audio is blowing your altenator,BUT,I was warned by my buddy who does car audio for living to install a stiffening cap or it can and probably will cook the altenator.I am running two 12" Fosgate P2,s on a Sony Xplode,highs on deck power,nothing special,but when I cranked it and sitting at idle all the lights in the car went extremely dim,and the car is running on a new altenator,with a new deep cycle battery.So certainly something you may want to look into.500 little much for replacement,cost me 240 for the altenator and did it myself.Hope this helps you out...Xc....:D

stiffining caps suck, there a total waste of money when you have tons of room to work with as we do.

Add a battery in the trunk, run your wire from your main car battery to it, the positive that is. try to use something in the 2-0agu range, agu is gauge if u didnt know.

Then ground the battery to some good clean metal in the trunk, use 2agu, 0 is not necessary since the length is shorter.

Now you can run your amp from that battery and it will still charge from your stock alt, you can also use smaller wire now since the distance is shorter or use something like 4-2agu and live with the peace of mind you have plenty of current delivery.

Mounting the battery is easy also, just run a strap of any kind across the top and srew each end down to the trunk.

For the battery you can use anything, the cheaper the better to an extent.

You only need caps if space is an issue or your running 5000+watts in amps and simple cant deliver the current fast enough no matter what the wire size and how close the battery is.

btw yes im MECP certified in car audio and electronics.

forgot to mention you will also gain some good benefits from dual battery's like, if one dies you can still start the car and get home, also in the winter you will notice a much easier start, well all year round in fact but its much more noticable in really cold weather.

Theres other benefits as well but those are some of the most important.

well thanks a lot i actually just took my speakers out yesterday i don't want to run them with out the proper stuff installed. Also do I just connect the battery in the trunk straight into the other one or do I need to do something else to it?

ok forgot to ask if i just connect the positive sides together or both positive and negative?

You would only want to run the positve on the engine battery to the battery in the trunk, hook the negative in the trunk to a good ground.

Yep connect positives and ground the negative.

And run your amp to the spare battery, that way it will take the path of least resistance and drain that one first, or put the most strain on that one anyway.

Members online

Back