broken door handle on ls

bgr

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a broken door handle on my ls. Where can i get these rivets at, besides the dealer?

I'm not sure what the rivet looks like, are they metal or plastic?
I'm sure home depot or lowes or hardware store would have what you need.

the rivits are massive. and require a big ass rivit gun. prolly pnuematic lol.

I just drilled them out (what a PITA) and then used some screws.

bgr...

This same thing happened to me. You won't be able to get rivets in there unless you have a big a$$ rivet gun and it can work in really small places.

What worked for me and I think is alot easier and better.

First thing is calll Maxx and buy a new door handle.

Using the procedure that is running around here to change out the window regulator, I was able to get access to the door handle rivets.

This is where things get pretty simple.

Take a drill and drill out the rivets. Actually all you need to do is drill off the rivet head and pop out the rest of the rivet.

Go to your local hardware store (lowe's in my case) and take the door handle with you so you can size up the bolts to fit into the handle holes.

I'm sorry that I don't remember what length I bought them, but I think they were an inch. Along with that, I bought some washers, bolts, and high strength lock-tite.

rivets

I have the huge ass rivet gun, i was just not sure if there would be enough room for the trim pieces to fit if I nut and bolt it. home depot rivets were not big enough.

Just be sure you have your window up before you spin those rivets.

another stupid design. Atleast this happened to me anyways. drilled the rivets out and they fell straight into the door lol. now they rattle around sometimes.

anyone else do that? is there a way to get them out?

drilled the rivets out and they fell straight into the door lol. now they rattle around sometimes.

anyone else do that? is there a way to get them out?
I'm not sure what they're called... But it's basically a long thin flexible straw (about 12") with a push plunger on one end and claws at the other end. you push the plunger and the claws open, release the plunger and the claws close.

Works like a charm, but for the life of me I can't remember what they're called.

Hi...new to this forum.

I have a 2002 LS and I just noticed the driver's door handle is pulling loose on the lock end. It still seems to be securely attached everywhere else. After reading this thread, it seems like a PITA to fix due to the rivets. I'm thinking I'll let it ride and just keep an eye on it and keep my fingers crossed it doesn't get any looser. Anyone with more experience dealing with door handles have any thoughts or suggestions?

Hi...new to this forum.

I have a 2002 LS and I just noticed the driver's door handle is pulling loose on the lock end. It still seems to be securely attached everywhere else. After reading this thread, it seems like a PITA to fix due to the rivets. I'm thinking I'll let it ride and just keep an eye on it and keep my fingers crossed it doesn't get any looser. Anyone with more experience dealing with door handles have any thoughts or suggestions?

Sounds like you're talking outside door handle. That one is pretty easy once the door panel is removed.

You guys are looking at this all the wrong way! You already have a door handle falling off of your car so why not just do away with the other 3 right away too and go with shaved door handles! I bet they look bad a$$ on the LS.:)

You guys are looking at this all the wrong way! You already have a door handle falling off of your car so why not just do away with the other 3 right away too and go with shaved door handles! I bet they look bad a$$ on the LS.:)

Almost all of these posts are talking about interior door handles.

Ahh. So how is the outside handle attached?

IIRC, it's held on by a couple of bolts. Also, IIRC, the "hardest" part is attaching the lock rod; and that isn't too terribly difficult. I would give this job one wrench for your average DIYer.

IIRC, it's held on by a couple of bolts. Also, IIRC, the "hardest" part is attaching the lock rod; and that isn't too terribly difficult. I would give this job one wrench for your average DIYer.

Shouldn't be a problem. The bad part is that I had the door panel off a couple of days ago to correct a "dealer created issue" with the door module wiring harness.

bgr
if you are talking about the interior door handle, i just had to do mine too. got it at parts.com. i drilled out the factory rivets and used 3/4" long 1/4-20 bolts with teflon lock nuts to fasten the new handle assembly.

2934897_11.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2934897

Members online

No members online now.
Back