Broken bolt (options?)

MephCOS

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello, so I was gifted this lincoln (01 LS v8) and I did some light maintenance and drove it 1400 miles across the country, only to be met with the dreaded coolant problems.

I went to replace the thermostat housing and being the noob I am didnt realize how much was actually involved and opted to instead swap the thermostat, gasket and the other plastic pieces that are separate.

Upon putting the other plastic piece on I encountered a cross threaded bolt <somebodies replaced this once before :(> and after working to where I thought I was good to torque it slightly and call it good, I snapped the head off the bolt.

Now I'm in a whirlwind of trouble. What's the easiest way to go? I tried putting vice grips on the bolt and its so soft I destroy it. I tried backing it out with a hammer and a chisel/driver and it shaved the bolt down.

I know the welding method, but I don't have a welder of any sort so that's kind of out of the picture.
image2.JPG

image1.JPG

p.s: ignore the sand, I have no fucking clue how there is sand, but I'm going to vacuum it out :p

Have to try and use an easy out. Method is pretty simple, although it's a real pain in the ass on small bolts. But basically, you will drill down through the center of the bolt and then screw in a reverse thread tool that looks kind of like a tap. It will then bite into the bolt and hopefully with some careful coaxing and maybe a little heat from a blow torch to expand the aluminum you can get it to back out.

The problem I see is getting a drill down into the center of the bolt without trashing the threads in the aluminum. Worse case scenario you'll have to drill the old bolt out, then drill and re-tap the aluminum for a thread repair. Whatever you do, do NOT break the easy-out off inside the bolt. If you think drilling through a bolt sucks, wait until you try to drill through hardened tool steel! I highly recommend drilling the bolt and getting it ready for the easy out, then soaking it with penetrating oil like PB Blaster or WD40, and THEN try backing it out.

Here's a video showing how you use them.

Last edited:
The threads are already damaged. I suspect you will have to use a Heli-Coil or similar after you get the remains of the old bolt out.
That thermostat housing/water outlet tower looks like it is done for. Foolish (in my opinion) not to change it out now.

The threads are already damaged. I suspect you will have to use a Heli-Coil or similar after you get the remains of the old bolt out.
That thermostat housing/water outlet tower looks like it is done for. Foolish (in my opinion) not to change it out now.

Considering the threads were crossed/messed up to begin with it might be the better option anyways. Slowly drill the bolt out in steps until it comes out easily, then just do a thread repair.

Members online

Back