Brett Favre Quits on Himself

MonsterMark

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
It is pretty sad to see Brett Favre retire because he didn't want to choke.

To me this leaves the biggest stain on his legacy.

Favre Quits (notice I didn't say retire.)

I'm gonna dump a huge LOL on you when the Packers win the Super Bowl next year. :D

I'm gonna dump a huge LOL on you when the Packers win the Super Bowl next year. :D

That is what I meant. The Packers have $24 million in cap room next year with Brett back.

Now they have $35.6 million.

Aaron Rodger is being given a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

If they don't win, I'll be surprised.

The whole Randy Moss signing 24 hours earlier stinks to high heaven like Favre was pouting once again.

Aaron Rodgers can bring a missing dimension to the offense. The ability to run downfield. That was so sorely lacking with Favre the last 10 years. It really hurt the team.

I'm just pissed that the guy got what he wanted. To QB a Super Bowl caliber team. So what does he do? He quits, not retires.

He made a comment that he was afraid of losing the Super Bowl next year and that he couldn't live with that. That was the straw that broke my back and I have been one the biggest Favre supporters the past 17 years.

Thank God and about time!!!
LOL

I hate to see him go I think that game in Chicago did him in.

He pulled of some of his best plays in his last year gave it his best shot.

Its a young mans game.

Aaron Rodgers will NEVER fill those shoes.

You know I hate the Green Gay Slackers with and underlying passion that can not be beat but as a humble Viking fan I can say Farve was a great QB that wont ever be replaced. BUT I'M SO GLAD HE IS GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a new Wisconsin resident, I have respect for his record, and his style, and for what he did for the GB Packers. As for him quiting now, thats his choice. He has a great run, broke tons of records, was a great teammate to the other packers. He also volunteered tons of time off season to charitys.

How many times do we hear about the player who got busted for drugs, or for beating his wife or girlfriend- All the time! My 9yr old doesnt need to hear that crap- He doesnt need that kind of roll model-

He isnt the last quarterback for the GB Packers, but he may be the last "Great" quarterback, and "leader" in sports today...

That is what I meant. The Packers have $24 million in cap room next year with Brett back.

Now they have $35.6 million.

Aaron Rodger is being given a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

If they don't win, I'll be surprised.

The whole Randy Moss signing 24 hours earlier stinks to high heaven like Favre was pouting once again.

Aaron Rodgers can bring a missing dimension to the offense. The ability to run downfield. That was so sorely lacking with Favre the last 10 years. It really hurt the team.

I'm just pissed that the guy got what he wanted. To QB a Super Bowl caliber team. So what does he do? He quits, not retires.

He made a comment that he was afraid of losing the Super Bowl next year and that he couldn't live with that. That was the straw that broke my back and I have been one the biggest Favre supporters the past 17 years.
I don't know, Bryan, I think he's taking the long view. He's thinking of all the preparation required to get ready for a new season and he doesn't think it's worth it. I remember when Elway retired - he said he just didn't have the desire to physically prepare for the season anymore.

One comment that made sense was that it's too soon after the season and everybody's tired, and maybe come July he'll feel differently. I won't believe it until September when he doesn't show up.

I can't claim to know what Brett's thinking is but here my hunch.

He wanted to win and win now.

1) The Packers made no moves on free agency. In fact they lost one key player.

2) They didn't pick up Moss again when they could have, demonstrating to Brett they weren't willing to do everything to win now.

3) Nobody in the organization called him and said; Brett, we really want you back after such a great season. Let's go win one. After 17 years, when you're not playing for money or fame, a little outreach to let you know you are appreciated is in order.

Had any of those 3 things happened, Brett would have come back.

Personally... Favre stayed for the records ... took his last shot at the Super Bowl and blew it...

Cried because the Packers didn't get him Randy pouted and quit...

Packer fans hated Rany whiner Moss (before the Patriots). Moss so much talent wasted until this past year.

But that's my opinion....

Oh I bet old Brett is loving all the attention he's getting. He loved it every year that he said this may be my last. I got so sickening watching local news with the constant headlines what will Brett do...

Bret had a very good year... I don't know if he had another in him...

I agree he quit because he was afraid what if it doesn't happen next year and he blows it again.

Packers were a young team and had a good season but maybe not this year.

Also after next year many Packers will start to jump ship. Favre is gone....

Now I guess we'll have to listen to well if Favre was here...

I can't claim to know what Brett's thinking is but here my hunch.

He wanted to win and win now.

1) The Packers made no moves on free agency. In fact they lost one key player.

2) They didn't pick up Moss again when they could have, demonstrating to Brett they weren't willing to do everything to win now.

3) Nobody in the organization called him and said; Brett, we really want you back after such a great season. Let's go win one. After 17 years, when you're not playing for money or fame, a little outreach to let you know you are appreciated is in order.

Had any of those 3 things happened, Brett would have come back.
But see, that's my point. This places the lion's share of the blame on the Packers, not on Bret.

But see, that's my point. This places the lion's share of the blame on the Packers, not on Bret.

That's right. The Packers really didn't want him back. Sure, it would have been suicide to say they didn't want him back but they did nothing to 'get' him back.

No communication on purpose. Ted Thompson wanted to move on.

Now that he has retired, maybe Madden will retire so the two can finally get married. :)

favre.jpg

I think Moss has something for Farve also. :D

Moss.jpg

That viking game was awesome, the fact that we bumped the pack from the playoff's was allmost as good as a super bowl ring.

Brett is so loved... LOL...
So what exactly do you have against Favre? Except for the fact he was 26-9 against the Bears the last 16 years?

Where does the bitterness come from for one of the greats to have played the game?

Please Explain....................................................

So what exactly do you have against Favre? Except for the fact he was 26-9 against the Bears the last 16 years?

Where does the bitterness come from for one of the greats to have played the game?

Please Explain....................................................
I can explain. His team got pwned by Favre, it's as simple as that. I have similar hatred for Terry Bradshaw and Joe Montana, who pwned the Cowboys multiple times. Doesn't mean I don't think they're great QBs. Just hate hate hate them.:D

Looking at the article the thread originator linked to, Favre loves the game, and knows it's the right time, it's been the right time for 3 yrs and he's managed to keep performing. Look at him in the pic in that article. Brett is old and needs to bow out. I'm not even a GB fan but he's a hell of a player and his record speaks for itself, and that record is NOT an opinion. Too bad they couldn't have won the superbowl last year....I think (yes, in my opinion) they/he deserved it.

I can explain. His team got pwned by Favre, it's as simple as that. I have similar hatred for Terry Bradshaw and Joe Montana, who pwned the Cowboys multiple times. Doesn't mean I don't think they're great QBs. Just hate hate hate them.:D

BINGO :)

Did you see this ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e29MgBOYiQ8

The tank is empty, I think he cryed more then when his pa died.
He made the whole land of cheese cry with this video " expect for Rich :p "

When I heard of his retirement I was really angry. I posted on a bunch of blogs and other sites that he was quitting on himself and I was right.

Here is what I meant by that.

He no longer had the confidence to win the big game.
When the team was down he didn't want the ball anymore.

The pressure and expectations had risen too high.

He knew next year that anything less than WINNING the Super Bowl would be a failure because the expectations of the team are so high.

When a guy loses his confidence like Brett has, it is time to go. He is right about that.

He is more afraid of choking than he is competing now. Never thought I'd see that day but I understand completely. You have to want the ball in those situations and he didn't. He didn't want to be the weak link that couldn't get the job done.

We'll miss you Brett and Sundays will never be the same.:(

I can explain. His team got pwned by Favre, Doesn't mean I don't think they're great QBs. Just hate hate hate them.:D

I still don't think he was that Great... Good yes... a threat yes... But I think that Montana, Young, Elway, Unitis and others were much better. Brett would win games and lose games the same way.

Brett great arm good and accurate (to both sides LOL)... Played a long time.. that's why he has the records.... Threw a lot of passes... He was a good QB.. Could he win the game for the Pack sure... but he would lose them also... Like the Super Bowl vs. Denver...

BINGO :)

Did you see this ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e29MgBOYiQ8

The tank is empty, I think he cryed more then when his pa died.
He made the whole land of cheese cry with this video " expect for Rich :p "

Well that might be.. LOL I won't cry.. and yes he did have the Bears number.. but that had changed!!!:D :)

It's like this coming January.. LOL... No more Bush!!! Wow... this will be a great time... No Favre and No Bush... LOL:D

When I heard of his retirement I was really angry. I posted on a bunch of blogs and other sites that he was quitting on himself and I was right.

Here is what I meant by that.

He no longer had the confidence to win the big game.
When the team was down he didn't want the ball anymore.

The pressure and expectations had risen too high.

He knew next year that anything less than WINNING the Super Bowl would be a failure because the expectations of the team are so high.

When a guy loses his confidence like Brett has, it is time to go. He is right about that.

He is more afraid of choking than he is competing now. Never thought I'd see that day but I understand completely. You have to want the ball in those situations and he didn't. He didn't want to be the weak link that couldn't get the job done.

We'll miss you Brett and Sundays will never be the same.:(

I think your a little off the mark.
He has all the confidence in the world in himself always has, and he always wants the ball.
He just didn't want to go thru what he had to go thru last year to try to get to the big game.

I don't think hes afraid of choking he just doesnt want to do it anymore.
Its a bit@h.
The pressure and expectations are on every NFL team not just the cheese.
Every year for every team is failure if they don't win the big one.

Hell hes how old ?

Cut the guy some slack he said best himself.
All good things must come to an end.

Favre didn't owe anything to anybody. I hate the Packers, but have nothing but respect for Favre. He's a stand up guy. He gave the Packers years of solid play. He is old, and only he knows when it's time to move on. He can't stay forever, so why not let the young guy get his chance.

Members online

No members online now.
Back