Break Pads 2000 DTS

hpman247

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2000 DTS and the rear break pads on the passenger side have worn. We have not checked the others, but we cannot get the new brake pads on. The old ones come off and go back on just fine, but the break piston will not go all the way back into the callpier. And therefore we cannot get the new pads on.

Any ideas or special tricks that must be done in order to get this to work properly.

If the caliper piston has a solid front face with 2 notches in it you will have to turn the piston clockwise to retract it into the caliper. When you put the new pads in the notches in the caliper piston MUST line up with 2 pins on the back of the pad.

yep I think it has to be rotated. Go to autozone and get the tool. It only costs like $5.00 and with ABS, make sure you open the bleeders when running the piston back or you can damage the ABS system.

Had the same problem...my buddy over at cadillac told me to remove the brake fluid cap and ....then press the caliper piston in..... it worked for me...hope it worked for you.

mike940 said:
Had the same problem...my buddy over at cadillac told me to remove the brake fluid cap and ....then press the caliper piston in..... it worked for me...hope it worked for you.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! That is old school and can severly damage any ABS brake system. The ABS valves are designed to only allow fluid one way, and when you force it in reverse, you could be replacing expensive parts (works sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't). You have to open the bleeder to releve pressure while setting the piston back, and buy the cheap tool at autozone to rotate the caliber piston back (although sometimes needle nose plier tips will fit in the groos and do the job of turning it in). Just ask at the counter and they will point you in the right direction (only costs like $5). When opening bleeders, you must afterward bleed the system by the way

mhinchley said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOO! That is old school and can severly damage any ABS brake system. The ABS valves are designed to only allow fluid one way, and when you force it in reverse, you could be replacing expensive parts (works sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't). You have to open the bleeder to releve pressure while setting the piston back, and buy the cheap tool at autozone to rotate the caliber piston back (although sometimes needle nose plier tips will fit in the groos and do the job of turning it in). Just ask at the counter and they will point you in the right direction (only costs like $5). When opening bleeders, you must afterward bleed the system by the way

On the rear calipers you need the tool to rotate the piston back into place. On the front simply put an old brake pad over the piston and squeeze it back in with a C-clamp. This is the method specified in the factory service manual.

Jim

Members online

No members online now.
Back