Brake warning light

pragmatic

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
2000 LS V6 Manual Trans (so no traction control, stability control, or message center).

Taking the car for its annual State Inspection and the brake warning light comes on. No problem I stop and check the fluid level and it seems full but I fill it to the filler neck (it takes a couple of tablespoons). Light is still on.

I start the car with the parking brake on and the light stays lit continuously even after I release the brake. I start the car with the parking brake off and the light stays on for ~5 seconds goes off and relights within another 5 seconds, then stays on.

I disconnect the fluid level sensor (on the top of the brake reservoir) and it behaves the same as above.

The ABS light has been on since I changed a front wheel bearing last year (in case that matters).

Any ideas on the brake warning light?

Bad parking brake switch?
Bad float sensor?
Bad wire?

Bad parking brake switch?
Bad float sensor?
Bad wire?

Parking brake switch seems to work in that when brake is on the light stays on when the brake is off the light goes off for 5 seconds (very consistant 5 seconds off).

Disconnecting the float sensor does not change how it works.

That leaves bad wire. Any suggestions on where to start?

...That leaves bad wire. Any suggestions on where to start?

The FEM reads the brake fluid level fluid switch. Trace the wires from the float switch to the FEM and look for cuts or shorts.

Members online

Back