Brake replacement

jrdnhsnbrg

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, long time no post! I'm starting to hear my brakes squeaking (not 100% sure if it's the front or rear, I think it's the fronts) and was wondering how difficult it is on these cars to replace the pads and rotors. I did it in my high school shop on my old car (97 deville) so I know the general process. I drive a 2001 Continental.

It's pretty easy on these cars. I have AutoZone rotors and their best ceramic pads on my car. It's been about 18 months and I have no complaints - stops fine and less brake dust than the old pads.

You just remove a caliper bolt so it can swing out of the way of the rotor and then the rotor comes right off. Well, I had to smack mine with a hammer to get it loose first. Use a C-clamp and one of the old brake pads to push the brake pistons back to their starting point, then install new pads and put the bolts back. Just pay attention when taking it apart and you'll do fine.

I haven't touched the rear rotors yet. They're usually more complicated since they handle the parking brake duty too. Pads there shouldn't be too hard though.

I got my rotors from Amazon, but I try to stick with Motorcraft unless its not available or known bad, and Amazon had them cheapest. Rockauto has had some warehouse deals on conti brake parts that are not OEM, but decent brands of pads etc.

I didn't do the swap on mine, but recall my Mark VII could be a pain if the ABS sensors got touched.

Members online

No members online now.
Back