brake pedal vibrating on a 97

napoleon1072

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
My brakes vibrate and make a sound when i'm stepping on them to slow down and sometimes when the cars in motion and my foots not on the gas or brake pedal.

The Rotors are in good shape. My Dad thinks it's related to the ABS/Traction Control any other ideas?

did you check the runout on the rotors?? you cant visually see the minute amount of warp that will cause pedal vibration.

you may have an abs/traction problem, but rule out the 1 system they both use before you jump to conclusions on the others (both ABS and traction control use the foundation brake system)

Well, sometimes rotor may look fine when in fact they're not.

One Thing I learned with my dad was not to buy the CHEAP Rotors. They don't last or never feel perfect when braking.

If it's abs issues, maybe the ABS sensors on the brake calipers are dirty. I've ended up replacing them because up here in the north, they freeze up to the caliper and break when removed. These sensors also work with the traction control.

It's not the rotors they're new. The brake makes a vibrating noise and you can feel the vibration when you put your foot on the pedal as if it's trying to stop the tires from over spinning. It does this randomly. I was also thinking sensor because we've had alot of rain lately. Anything else I should be looking for?

Since you mention rain, you are activating the ABS sysem. There is nothing wrong with the car, it is the ABS taking action while you drive on slick surface.

Brad.

Wheel Bearings could also cause this if the rotors are in good shape.

Had this happen with my 93 Mark VIII. You usually getting a noise also when the bearings go. Do you hear a slight noise when turing left or right when going around curves?

even tho the rotors are new, dont discount the possibility of them being bad. I have seen new rotors (both cheap and expensive) come out of the box tweaked.

Wheel Bearings could also cause this if the rotors are in good shape.

Had this happen with my 93 Mark VIII. You usually getting a noise also when the bearings go. Do you hear a slight noise when turing left or right when going around curves?

It makes like a vibrating noise and you can feel the brake pedal vibrate like if you were getting a massage. It does it randomly and sometimes when I'm slowing down as if it's trying to stop the tires from over spinning. The rotors are only 2-3 months old

Well it's not a hard job and not very expensive.

But to replace front wheel bearings all you need to do is

Take off Wheel (5 lugs)
Take off Caliper (4 bolts)
Take off Rotor (pulls off after the caliper is off)
Then one Large nut that holds on the hub.
hub pulls out and new one slides on. Just use the right toque to put it back on and you are good to go.

Takes maybe 30 min max...

Hubs will cost you about $50 to $80 each...

If the car is old or has 100K+ miles it's not a bad idea to replace them.

what if the rotors are good what in the abs would cause the abs to come on everytime you hit the brakes?? I know its the abs cause i can hear the motor.

no abs lights on.

can you be more specific which sensor? one of the wheel sensors? other sensor. If its a wheel sensor how can I determine which one?

Members online

No members online now.
Back