Brake pedal making a mist of brake fluid from front left

91 LSC SE

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I repalced the rear brake line as it rusted through due to all the brine used here in Ontario Canada. More on that below.

i was bleeding the air and when almost done I heard what sounded like a mist shot and noticed fog coming from underneath the front end when applying the brake pedal. Brake fluid started dripping in the front left corner. It was dark, so will take a look tomorrow and help is greatly appreciated.

RE: the salt - Sadly the city of Toronto would rather put down 131623 tonnes of salt each winter, instead of actually teaching people how to drive. The T.O. website lists 40 to 50 de-icing events and claims a 10 to 15% reduction in salt due to brine but doesn't list how many hundred of thousands of gallons are used each year and then they complain about the environment.

To give you an idea, I bought my M8 7 years ago with no rust and I now have holes in my front and rear quarter panels that I could put a pop can through with ease.

Sorry to hear about the rust. I'm well aware of it being an X New Yorker. The leaching effect it has on nearby streams lasts for many years well after the last hoesing down of the roads. Sounds like you have a leak at the ABS control. Remove your left front wheel fender splash pan and you cant miss the octopus of brake lines at the module. Don't be surprised if you see the rubber insulators melted off the power plug that runs the ABS module. Mine are bare wires but still works. Good luck finding the pin hole.

Sorry to hear about the rust. I'm well aware of it being an X New Yorker. The leaching effect it has on nearby streams lasts for many years well after the last hoesing down of the roads. Sounds like you have a leak at the ABS control. Remove your left front wheel fender splash pan and you cant miss the octopus of brake lines at the module. Don't be surprised if you see the rubber insulators melted off the power plug that runs the ABS module. Mine are bare wires but still works. Good luck finding the pin hole.
Thanks Xtriggerman! It has been poring rain all day, and will take a look tomorrow.

Hi Guys,

I repalced the rear brake line as it rusted through due to all the brine used here in Ontario Canada. More on that below.

i was bleeding the air and when almost done I heard what sounded like a mist shot and noticed fog coming from underneath the front end when applying the brake pedal. Brake fluid started dripping in the front left corner. It was dark, so will take a look tomorrow and help is greatly appreciated.

RE: the salt - Sadly the city of Toronto would rather put down 131623 tonnes of salt each winter, instead of actually teaching people how to drive. The T.O. website lists 40 to 50 de-icing events and claims a 10 to 15% reduction in salt due to brine but doesn't list how many hundred of thousands of gallons are used each year and then they complain about the environment.

To give you an idea, I bought my M8 7 years ago with no rust and I now have holes in my front and rear quarter panels that I could put a pop can through with ease.

I had the same problem here in Mass. That brine solution is a killer on cars. My 96 MK VIII had the same problem. I had to have all my brake lines replaced .. then my tranny cooling line about 2 months later. When I bought it about 6 years ago, no rust whatsoever.

I had the same problem here in Mass. That brine solution is a killer on cars. My 96 MK VIII had the same problem. I had to have all my brake lines replaced .. then my tranny cooling line about 2 months later. When I bought it about 6 years ago, no rust whatsoever.
Same with mine, bought 7 years ago no, rust.
The front left is original and noticed it has metal to rubber hose then back to metal line. What is the rubber part for? To hold more brake fluid?
Did you have any issue with lines that go to the ABS module in the left front fender? Mine are rusted and wondering if i should spray them with Rust Check? I think some of the rust stop formulas eat away at the rust to get to the medal and them protect it? Not sure what to do.

So no one had any issues with the brake line at the ABS module in the left front fender?

For those in snow/salt areas, check the brake lines under the drivers door area and the front center under the rad support. I had one rear line go a couple of years ago and the other rear go this year. Shortly after that the front right line went (under the rad area)

Members online

Back