Brake line repair

Lownslowlsc

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well it has to get done sooner or later. The lines are crusty by the LR wheel and I'd would like to get it taken care of. I'll be having my competent mechanic friend replace what's needed but i'd like to hear opinions on the best way of fixing said issue and if there could be any issues that could pop up during the repair.

Couple questions-

1) Would it be best to run new lines from the proportioning valve all the way back or to tap into the line under the rear seat? I've heard of people tapping into the line, what would be the safest way of doing this? Can you double flare with that particular line still on the car?

2) If ran from the P. valve is the fitting reusable? Not a big deal just curious. I've read that certain areas use odd fitting and line size...True? 3/16th line back there correct?

I've never had to mess with brake lines so give me a break. :) I just want a clearer understanding of what to expect. It being my DD I can't really afford for anything to go wrong.

Well of course ripping and replacing the entire line is the proper way to do it but tapping the line only from where it's in need of replacing and on is a hell of a lot quicker. I've done this fix on two cars when I just didn't have the patience to do an entire line back to the main system;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL7BQKPhV2k

Note: If you live in a state with safety inspections, you won't pass after you do this. And please don't start a quote train on me about how this isn't the proper way to fix brake lines, I know it isn't but OP asked.

I did my rear lines starting at the rear passenger seat floor boards .
Its also a lot easier with the gas rank out.
Yes they have to be double flared.

I just double flared in a piece under drivers door to the rear of the car. No problems with this mod and will pass inspection.

Members online

Back