Brake lights

gagefinch

New LVC Member
Reaction score
So I have a 2003 Lincoln Ls with the 3.9 and recently my abs motor messed up and it melted the wiring harness that plugs into the module. The only real issue that occurred is my brake light switch no longer works. Is it possible to just wire around the burn and bypass that module?

Almost anything is possible, but you really don't want to do that. Apart for losing ABS and traction/AdvanceTrac functions, the rest of the car needs the wheel speed information that the ABS module provides. Right now, you are in one of the ETC failsafe modes all the time, for example.

Anyway, it could be just as cheap to fix it correctly, as it would be to rig it in some ridiculous way. You may be able to get an ABS module and as much of the harness as you need for $20 or so at you local pick-n-pull junkyard. I know there are some down here on the coast usually. In your case, you really need the hydraulic unit too (has the pump motor in it), still it could be less then $50 total.

Thanks for the reply! I honestly just need the brake lights to work, abs and traction control HASNT worked since I’ve had the car, the lights just recently went out when I tried to fix the abs

Brake light sensor is needed for the ecu, it's not just about turning the light on i guess.
It would be simplier to fix your harness.

If you still want to rewire the brake light, you have to use a relay and it will be a mess with all those wires. You can't just bring 12v and use it with the brake switch and bring a couple of wires from the tail lights.

So my plan was to send the wires from the harness just past the connector and abs module and splice them in on the other side, like bridge just past it if that was possible? I know it’s a weird request but I haven’t been able to find an abs module complete that works

So my plan was to send the wires from the harness just past the connector and abs module and splice them in on the other side, like bridge just past it if that was possible? I know it’s a weird request but I haven’t been able to find an abs module complete that works
Local junk yards, I had an ABS problem and I looked online they want to like 650 bucks but I went to my local one and I got one for $19.

As more or less suggested already... go to a junkyard and pull the wiring harness on both sides of the ABS system... including the module/pump assembly (disconnecting the brake lines)... and install in your car.

At that point... everything should be "plug and play"... except for bleeding the brakes (which a dealer can do for around $100.)

Only other thing I can thing of that you might have to watch... is the "build date" of the junkyard LS. Make sure it is close enough to be compatible with your LS. (month and year).

Don't splice when you can get the whole setup cheap. That's just asking for problems... if not now, then later.

Members online

Back