Brake Lights, Stuck in Park, Cruise Control

Skengman

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Lincoln LSV8. Recently my brake lights have been completely out. Along with that my cruise control is out and I have to start the car in neutral because it won't shift out of park. I assume these are all to be related to the same thing. What are the things I need to check for?

Thanks!

Thanks, kind of what I was thinking but couldn't find a drawing. Any specific tools needed?

No tools needed at all to change out the switch. A DMM would be good to test the switch and the wiring.

No tools needed at all to change out the switch. A DMM would be good to test the switch and the wiring.

Do I just need to unhook the green part on the switch or actually unplug the entire other part

IMG_1349.JPG

The green part is the electrical connection to the switch. The "entire other part" (black and gray) is the switch itself. Press on the tab and pull back to disconnect the electrical connection, and twist and pull back on the switch to remove it.
When the switch is not pressed, it should read as a short, and as an open when it is pressed. Note that pressed is when the brake pedal is at rest, and not pressed is when the brake pedal is depressed (brakes applied). Touching both contacts of the electrical connector with a paper clip or a wire should turn the brake lights on.

The blue switch above it is the redundant safety (power interrupt) for the cruise control. It is not likely to be any of your problem. If you do mess with it, note that it works the opposite way to the brake light switch.

brake_switch.jpg

Members online

Back