Brake Job on a '97 Mark

97 Ivory Pearl VIII

See somethin' shiny?
Reaction score
How tough is it to replace pads on a '97 Mark? I've never worked on a car with ABS. The last time I did a brake job was on a '80 Mark VI sedan that I owned years ago. Any pitfalls I should be aware of or any trick that I could take advantage of?

The fronts are really easy. The rears you need the 'tool' for to pull the rotors. Always replace pads and rotors in pairs at the same time.

Agreed. The rotors are cheap enough -- change them at the same time.

And its very easy overall. 30 minutes per wheel to replace the brake pads and rotors.

Just did mine for the first time last weekend. Here is a great article.
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/how-to-replace-front-brake-pads-rotors-lincoln-mark-viii/

It is literally 4 bolts. 2 for the caliper and 2 for the caliper cradle or anchor. You will need a C-clamp to push the caliper piston back to make room for the new thicker pads.

There mention 2 brake pads for parts needed, that was a typo you will need four and they didn't mention that you should remove the rubber boot that secures the caliper cradle slider bolts/pins on each end and coat them with anti-seize lubricant, then replace boot.
The two bolts that hold the caliper in place, tighten into these bolts/pins that I'm referring to. This keeps the pins from sticking and wearing out just one pad. Helps the caliper float so both pads wear evenly.

There was no mention of using a wire brush to remove dirt/rust in the cradle where the pad ends sit (pad ears) and then putting anti-seize lubricant where the pad ends sit in the cradle. This would help them move back and forth when the brakes are applied and released.

Members online

Back