Brake Calipers

GWL

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, our calipers are aluminum. Has any one tried polishing the calipers?

Better yet, I thought about at one time just taking them to a chroming shop and having them chrome plated. However, I'm sure you can do it but since it's pretty porous aluminum you'll work yourself to death.

GrayGhost1 said:
Better yet, I thought about at one time just taking them to a chroming shop and having them chrome plated. However, I'm sure you can do it but since it's pretty porous aluminum you'll work yourself to death.

I am not sure about actually chroming brake calipers as I do not know how the chrome would impact heat retention. I was kind of hoping that someone had tried to polish the calipers so I would know how deep the the porous casting goes. Sometimes the casting roughness is only a few thousandths deep. A chrome shop would have the equipment needed to polish them without doing the chrome if the casting porous surface is not too deep.
:Beer

pearl lincoln ls said:
how do you like the scal2?

So far so good. SCT has not released the software to allow all the adjust ability they advertise yet, but I understand that the new ones being shipped have that capability now. Just waiting for the program that will allow emailed updates to the unit to be released. As far as the tunes are concerned, I am pleased with the results.

I guess my question is why would chrome be any different than paint? I see tons of Street Rods and Custom Cars at shows with chrome calipers that they've had chrome plated. Most of those are driven to shows from out of state and they look really good. However, polishing the calipers is an idea. It might be better to get a good set from the salvage yard or eBay and try buffing on them.

I think you should have them anodized; either that or powdercoated. I don't think there would be anything wrong with chrome plating, but I think they would take more work to keep them clean and looking good. I think the same would be true about just polishing them.

GrayGhost1 said:
I guess my question is why would chrome be any different than paint? I see tons of Street Rods and Custom Cars at shows with chrome calipers that they've had chrome plated. Most of those are driven to shows from out of state and they look really good. However, polishing the calipers is an idea. It might be better to get a good set from the salvage yard or eBay and try buffing on them.

I think your right about getting a salvage set to experiment on. I don't have specific info on chrome heat retention, but I remember from my old racing days that if you want to dissipate heat, color it black and do not chrome anything that needs to radiate heat to the atmosphere. I don't know how much chrome would impede radiation as an extra layer as opposed to a thick coat of paint. And we all know accepted conventional wisdom can be very wrong. I do know that most race cars do not chrome the calipers even for show. As I remember, even polishing aluminum will impede the dissipation of heat somewhat, not enough to impact a street car just as paint does not hurt street cars. So it may be that chrome calipers would make no significant difference on a car used on the street.

for $60 - $100 a set they can powercoat or even add a silkscreen

http://www.discbrakesrus.com/powdercoatingbrakes.htm

goldtbird.jpg

roush.jpg

silverwithhorse.jpg

JohnnyB said:
I think you should have them anodized; either that or powdercoated. I don't think there would be anything wrong with chrome plating, but I think they would take more work to keep them clean and looking good. I think the same would be true about just polishing them.

Yep anodized would be the best option if heat dissipation is your only concern.

Quik LS said:
for $60 - $100 a set they can powercoat or even add a silkscreen

http://www.discbrakesrus.com/powdercoatingbrakes.htm

goldtbird.jpg

roush.jpg

silverwithhorse.jpg

This may be the way I go when I get to the point of doing without my ride for the time it takes to send them off to this company. It would be a good time to go for stainless steel braided brake lines and a rotor change all at once. All after the factory warrantee is a little farther along.:)

Those calipers look good for sure! I think that is your best bet price wise.

Can't say on calipers, but I have polished aluminum in the past and if there is any heat involved the aluminum quickly reverts back to dull grey, smooth maybe but grey.

Calipers endure a lot of heat so I suspect that unless there was some sort of clear coat put on, they would also becomre dull grey in short order.

Better to powder coat or even high temp paint.

Wish I could find the website where some dork thought his VW Golf would look cool with painted brakes. He literally painted everything, calipers, rotors, pads etc. He appeared to have been quite proud of himself. Really cool, duh.

Jim Henderson

Jim Henderson said:
Can't say on calipers, but I have polished aluminum in the past and if there is any heat involved the aluminum quickly reverts back to dull grey, smooth maybe but grey.

Calipers endure a lot of heat so I suspect that unless there was some sort of clear coat put on, they would also becomre dull grey in short order.

Better to powder coat or even high temp paint.

Wish I could find the website where some dork thought his VW Golf would look cool with painted brakes. He literally painted everything, calipers, rotors, pads etc. He appeared to have been quite proud of himself. Really cool, duh.

Jim Henderson

You are absolutely right on this. I had completely forgotten how aluminum rapidly oxidizes when heated. Another blow from old age I guess:frown: . Polished with a clear coat would not be a s good as painting or powder coat.

Members online

Back