Bought a new to me 02 LS. Someone installed a electric fan. Need help figuring it out.

LSE_4_LYFE

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Had power goin to fuse box but it burnt fuse. Switched it but now if I try and put it back it runs even with car off.

I don't know how anyone could help (via the internet) without way more information, since this is an aftermarket modification.

I kno nothing about electric fans. So looking for those who do kno about them so I know what to look for. If you can't help and you don't know about it why comment?

I don't know how anyone could help (via the internet) without way more information, since this is an aftermarket modification.

I kno nothing about electric fans. So looking for those who do kno about them so I know what to look for. If you can't help and you don't know about it why comment?

If you feel that way, then I suggest you put me on your ignore list. I was trying to suggest that you might get some help if you posted the brand of the fan, and thermal controls used, and some real details about how it is wired. I see that I was mistaken, and I will bow out.

This reminds me of the scene from Armageddon when Billy Bob says..." This is joegr,he's probably the smartest guy on the Forum,so you all might want to listen!"

Hang in there joegr...they are but children and know not what they do....lol

All I asked for was help. Lil point in right direction. I searched site but found nothing. I know nothing about electric fans. Now I get called a child?? Thanks.

I would post more info if I knew. Not going to block you. I know you're very knowledgeable on these cars. Sorry for my snappines, just frustrated.

If you feel that way, then I suggest you put me on your ignore list. I was trying to suggest that you might get some help if you posted the brand of the fan, and thermal controls used, and some real details about how it is wired. I see that I was mistaken, and I will bow out.

I understand your frustration. But pecking out a snotty reply isn't quite a reflex. Think before your fingers move. Joe is one of the most helpful guys you'll ever find on the internet.

KS

I understand your frustration. But pecking out a snotty reply isn't quite a reflex. Think before your fingers move. Joe is one of the most helpful guys you'll ever find on the internet.

KS

Pecking out a snotty remark? All I said was if your not helping me or can't help why comment? Y is that so wrong?? Because of who I said it to?? Joegr, I AM SORRY. I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS. I didn't even kno it had one until someone told me see if there was wire goin to fuse box. Then heard it while car was off so disconnected it. PLEASE HELP ME OR HELP ME FIND HELP.

Pecking out a snotty remark? All I said was if your not helping me or can't help why comment? Y is that so wrong?? Because of who I said it to?? Joegr, I AM SORRY. I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS. I didn't even kno it had one until someone told me see if there was wire goin to fuse box. Then heard it while car was off so disconnected it. PLEASE HELP ME OR HELP ME FIND HELP.
I guess I’d suggest you start by trying to find out what brand the fan is ...look for a part number on it and a brand name ...does it have any stickers left on it somewhere or a molded brand name in plastic anywhere? If you can’t find any info on this fan you might be better off purchasing a new electric fan ...I’d suggest looking at some of Carl Smith’s posts on the forum ...I believe he just introduced a new electric fan to his Gen 1 LS with mods and ingenuity...I remember it turned out really nice...all my best

Thank you my LS brother. I will check for brand tomorrow. And I most likely will start fresh. But need help with that too. Lol.

joegr gave you the best advice that could have been typed at that point,since your post lacked any usable information.
He was telling you to provide detailed information so that someone could help you.
For some reason,you took it as an insult when he was only trying to help you.
I understand that things can get aggravating when it comes to resolving an issue with a car,especially when the issue is something that's not your strong suit.
Believe me,I have a 4.9 Caddy V8 Fiero that I've threatened to light on fire many times during the past year.....and I've had people literally physically drag me away from the car because I've lit the torch up and started towards the car.
Like Cathy Bates said in The Water Boy movie....." THIS CAR IS THE DEVIL !!!"

Post the detailed information,walk away from the car,relax,then let some of the members help you figure your issue out.
You're in good hands... a lot of the members are very knowledgeable.

And no..... I did not call you a child.
Relax.........breath............it's just a machine......

OK, since we are not going to get any more information about the car in question, I will throw out some basic crap that may or may not help...

symptom: "burnt fuse" this means one of two things, either the fuse is too small for the current requirements of the fan, or the fan is going bad and is requiring more current than it should. it also could be just sh!t wiring, but if this was the case, I'd think you would have let us known that the wiring looked pretty bad.

solution: you will absolutely need to know what brand and model the fan is to know which is the case, since you don't know, you need to look at it to find out. if you cant see it, you may have to take some stuff apart to get to that information, if you don't know how to do that, you will need to take it to someone that can. if you cant tell if the wiring is a sh!t job or not, then you will need to take it to somebody that can.

symptom: "runs even with car off"

solution: sounds like it is just ran directly to power, may need a relay to turn it on and off triggered by the ignition (back to sh!t wire job) or it may have a controller that is not working correctly (could also be due to a sh!t wire job)

long story short, my blind diagnoses is that either you have a bad fan or control component (don't know which without knowing whats in the car) or/and that you have a wiring problem.

OK, since we are not going to get any more information about the car in question, I will throw out some basic crap that may or may not help...

symptom: "burnt fuse" this means one of two things, either the fuse is too small for the current requirements of the fan, or the fan is going bad and is requiring more current than it should. it also could be just sh!t wiring, but if this was the case, I'd think you would have let us known that the wiring looked pretty bad.

solution: you will absolutely need to know what brand and model the fan is to know which is the case, since you don't know, you need to look at it to find out. if you cant see it, you may have to take some stuff apart to get to that information, if you don't know how to do that, you will need to take it to someone that can. if you cant tell if the wiring is a sh!t job or not, then you will need to take it to somebody that can.

symptom: "runs even with car off"

solution: sounds like it is just ran directly to power, may need a relay to turn it on and off triggered by the ignition (back to sh!t wire job) or it may have a controller that is not working correctly (could also be due to a sh!t wire job)

long story short, my blind diagnoses is that either you have a bad fan or control component (don't know which without knowing whats in the car) or/and that you have a wiring problem.

Thank you. I hadn't looked at it anymore. Will be later today. I appreciate the help. Now I at least have an idea what to do. Gonna look for brand and check out wiring.

Members online

Back