Book hours for mechanic to change steering rack?

jwolsen

LVC Member
Reaction score
Just noticed power steering fluid on the inner tie rod hood and think I'm going to have to replace the steering rack, unless it turns out to be the pressure hose located above it. My question is: Does anyone have access to the labor hours book/software, that tells how many hours they allocate for this job? I'm just trying to get an idea of what is going to be a fair price to get this work done. I already know what the rack is going to cost me from O'reilly's. I'd also ask if anyone has any experience, negative or positive, with using Lucas power steering stop leak fluid? Thanks for any and all comments, answers, etc. Bill.

Unfortunately, my service manuals don't have labor hours listed, but usually it is the hoses or fittings that wear out long before the rack.

Also, what year car do you have? Since hours vary vehicle by vehicle.

I got 3 different estimates, and went with the $246.00 labor estimate. The rack is going to cost me $164.00 from O'reilly's. $410.00 overall is good compared to the estimates. I received from 2 other shops. Thanks to all who responded. If anyone has an opinion on this price, I'd like to know. Bill.

2nd thought, I was quoted 3 1/2 to 4 hours on labor. Based on what your shop charges per hour, can make a difference. Mechanic I went with was $ 210.00 less on labor than the 2nd most competitive.

Members online

No members online now.
Back