Blowout

Black03

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Had a blowout at approx 75-80 mph today. Wheel was not damaged but the tire basically flew off.

Now, I do not want to spend $200 on a replacement, am I going to run into any problems if I get a different brand/model? I will get the same size, obviously, and make sure it is capable of handling the LS, not some cheap touring tire.

Well I am planning on getting either Goodyear or Kumho brand tire with similar tread to what is on there now.

I just don't want to spend $200 on one tire when I amp planning on going to 18's before long.

Black03 said:
Had a blowout at approx 75-80 mph today. Wheel was not damaged but the tire basically flew off.

Now, I do not want to spend $200 on a replacement, am I going to run into any problems if I get a different brand/model? I will get the same size, obviously, and make sure it is capable of handling the LS, not some cheap touring tire.

What tires are you driving on now that one blew out?

yeah youll have probs it will look geto youll be better of spending like a 100 dollars on 4 yoused tires somewhere man

The were the stock Michelin tires. I ended up getting one from tirerack for $108.

Being as they are all blackwall out and similar tread patterns, I figured that if I put the new one in the front of my lowered car nobody would be able to see the difference.

Black03 said:

How many miles are on the tire?? Mine was over 30,000 so there went the warranty

under 12,000

I know that when you buy a set on your own you can get warranties, but these were the original tires and I thought they didn't come with one.

vbgarage.php

vbgarage.php

OMFG thats Fd up, how was the tread on em. thats sux, but u already kno that. DAMN, u lucky the rim and the rides fine

Just as an FYI, I had 18" Kumho's on my 01 Cobra. It was the foulest handling, worse driving, horrible wearing tire I have ever owned in my life. I will never, ever own another one. But that's my experience. Other's may have much better ones so listen to all and make your own educated decision.

Rim seems to be fine.

And I ordered a Goodyear tire, had a more similar tread pattern.

I was strongly warned against mixing tires from different manufacturers. They all use slightly different compounds in their tires, which results in different grip characteristics. This, in turn, can have, ahem, less than desirable results is emergency maneuvers.

FWIW, I just replaced the stock 17" Michelins on my '04 V8 with a set of Avon Tech M550 "tyres" from the Tire Rack. They're a marked improvement over the Michelins: they are quieter, have better grip, are American-made (Cooper owns Avon), and are $65/tire less expensive than the Michelins.

Members online

No members online now.
Back