Blown Head Gasket: Need Advice

MobyDick

LVC Member
Reaction score
My 98 Mark has white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipes, and the shop said it was coolant, which I agree with. It smells like it, plus I am slowly losing coolant. However, I can run it for 20 to 30 minutes without it overheating. I replaced the original engine last year, so this is the second one (it's used of course), and it was running fine, so not sure what happened. I know you roll the dice with used engines so I guess my luck ran out.

Anyhow, after searching other related posts it looks like swapping the engine, or having the heads resurfaced, is the way to go, but I've also read where some people use some sort of head gasket sealer (e.g. Blue Devil) to solve the problem. I have not had any compression tests run (yet), but given this scenario, would it be worth a shot to try a gasket sealer first? If so, is there a preferred brand or product? I do not care about what the car is "worth"; it has sentimental value for me so I am willing to pour some more money into it (to a point). I just want to know what my options are.

Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.
Back