Blend Door Actuator Help -- Need Exp'd Mechanic in N.E.

Jim Knight

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well, I now believe my mechanic is ripping me off. He said the actuator wasn't busted, but the heater box assembly needs replacing. He showed me a picture (attached), and what it shows is the outer shaft housing of the actuator's arm is busted -- the typical break -- or am I wrong? He charged me to dismantle and reassemble the dash, without fixing it, and says he has to do it again for the whole heater box to fix for twice as much.

Anyone in the CT, MA, NY area with experience r&ring an actuator?

Actuator.jpeg

He may be trying to rip you off but i suspect he's just not that smart.
A lot of mechanics don't understand 20 year old mark viiis

You might want to check this listing on Craigslist. I believe that the gentleman is a member of this forum as well.

Lincoln Mark VIII 8 Parts

The text of the ad indicates repairs.

I have just about every part you might need for a Lincoln Mark VIII. Everything from body and interior parts, suspension parts, electrical and engine parts. Small or large pieces I either have them or know where to get these discontinued parts. Low prices and I ship everywhere. Let me know what you need. More parts everyday. I also do repairs such as heater blend doors, front end and air suspension work. Call or text

Please post back if this works out for you.

Good luck,
Rob

Is it me or does it look like the mechanic dremeled a hole to get a better visual of the actuator? If so, he might've taken a few panels off the front of the dash but didn't come close to removing it.

And yes, that actuator is broken.

Why not try a zip tie first. I fixed mine 3 years ago - cracked similar to yours and the zip tie has held great.

I tried to search to find it for you, but search kept coming up errors for me

Why not try a zip tie first. I fixed mine 3 years ago - cracked similar to yours and the zip tie has held great.

Thanks 91, I have a new actuator and getting fixed by end of next week.

Thanks 91, I have a new actuator and getting fixed by end of next week.
You may want to enlarge the hole or make a couple of holes in the bar that connects the two levers. Otherwise you will be doing this repair again - the hole isn't in the right spot and puts too much tension on the lever. This is why they all break over time - they are not the right distance/space. I believe you move the hole closer to the middle (thus decrease the distance between the original holes) only about a half an inch or so.
Guys please chime in if it should be the opposite - going from memory a few year ago.

Awesome idea.. been trying to think of ways to fix it cheap...

Definitely not a good mechanic. At the very least he should've called with options before reassembling.

Definitely not a good mechanic. At the very least he should've called with options before reassembling.
Its not to bad at all to get to it. Remove headlight switch (pull straight out) then the headlight cover then thelong thin air vent cover, then the LCD display and you will see it and be able to put on the zip tie - if is cracked, the odd one breaks completely and zip tie is more tough if possible at all.

I was able to find a post that I replied to with my pics - scroll down to the 5th or so post:
Help!! I'm freezing my tush off

I also found the post that shows why they break and if you can get the connector bar off, you should enlarge the bottom hole as I mentioned above. You want to make the bottom hole larger or make another bottom hole closer to the top - you can gauge the distance by the pics in this thread:
97 blend door replace arm, or assembly

Its not to bad at all to get to it. Remove headlight switch (pull straight out) then the headlight cover then thelong thin air vent cover, then the LCD display and you will see it and be able to put on the zip tie - if is cracked, the odd one breaks completely and zip tie is more tough if possible at all.
Thanks for the feedback. Dbl88 is helping me out. He's fixed nearly 200 of them.

Members online

No members online now.
Back