Bleeding the Brake Master Cylinder

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I think I have air in my master cylinder. I researched how to bleed air out of the Master Cylinder and came to found a procedure that requires a hose to be attached to the front left caliper bleeder screw and running it up to the Master Cylinder resovoir. The procedure is suppose to work all the air out of the Master Cylinder. Anyone know if this simple method will work? Pro’s and Con’s? Thanks

I really doubt it, particularly with the ABS in between.

Why would it have air? Have you done something? Did you disconnect any of the master cylinder lines or let the reservoir run dry?

I really doubt it, particularly with the ABS in between.

Why would it have air? Have you done something? Did you disconnect any of the master cylinder lines or let the reservoir run dry?
After all the problems with the aftermarket front caliper... I think the brake fluid might have leaked out of it and the reservoir level went far to low ...the brake pedal feels spongy and goes to the floor with way to much ease... Why will the abs prevent this procedure from working?

If you let air in from the master cylinder on down, it is very hard to get it out of the ABS system without a scan tool to run the ABS pump and cycle the solenoid valves.

I guess if the air is already there, you don't have much (besides time) to lose. I wouldn't run a hose back to the reservoir and risk getting dirt/rust/whatever into the master cylinder. I'd just keep putting fresh fluid in till the air stops coming out. Use a clear hose on the bleeder down to a bottle, so that you can see the air. You will probably have to seal around the bleeder threads to keep air from being sucked in there.
Without a tool to cycle the ABS, you can go out to a dirt area and stomp on the brake to trigger the ABS. Then go back and repeat the bleeding. After several times and a few bottles of brake fluid, you may get 99% of the air out. Note that you'll have to do this to both front wheels.

If you let air in from the master cylinder on down, it is very hard to get it out of the ABS system without a scan tool to run the ABS pump and cycle the solenoid valves.

I guess if the air is already there, you don't have much (besides time) to lose. I wouldn't run a hose back to the reservoir and risk getting dirt/rust/whatever into the master cylinder. I'd just keep putting fresh fluid in till the air stops coming out. Use a clear hose on the bleeder down to a bottle, so that you can see the air. You will probably have to seal around the bleeder threads to keep air from being sucked in there.
Without a tool to cycle the ABS, you can go out to a dirt area and stomp on the brake to trigger the ABS. Then go back and repeat the bleeding. After several times and a few bottles of brake fluid, you may get 99% of the air out. Note that you'll have to do this to both front wheels.
Sounds good..I’ll give it a shot

Forscan has an option for bleeding the ABS module... probably sets you back $15 for a usb ELM adapter.

Forscan has an option for bleeding the ABS module... probably sets you back $15 for a usb ELM adapter.
Thanks for the info.... It might be the option I’ll have to go with depending if I can’t get the Master bled properly

After researching the ABS system in the Lincoln LS it looks like I’ll need to bring the car to a dealer and have them bleed the system ...hoping this won’t cost a small fortune

Looks like I’ll be taking a trip to the dealer with this issue, you’re right the system requires much care and attention

Members online

No members online now.
Back