Blackfire Wet Diamond Review

kustomizingkid

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I bought bfwd from Detailed Image a while back when they were having the winter sealant sale, finally got a chance to use it this weekend. Overall I am impressed with this product, and love the looks. Makes the paint look very glossy.

The process:

I washed, clayed and corrected the car, rinsed it, and then did an IPA wipedown to prep it for application. I always wash and clay before applying a sealant, those steps are a mus, corection isn't neccesary.

I used the smalle yellow apllicator that DI provides, reading the bottle it says to apply to a panel then wipe it off, it was fairly cool when I used it so I broke the car up into 1/3's, did the front clip, mouldings up to the roof, and mouldings down and the entire rear bumper.

This stuff is so easy to apply, and a little goes a long long way. After priming the aplicator I was able to do the entire hood with a drop about 1/2 the size of a penny... removal suprised me a bit as the priduct never really hazed up entirely. I'm used to sealants that haze up and leave a film that is mildly difficult to remove. The BFWD left a semi oily film that wiped off very easily. That being said after buffing all the sealant I had to go back around the car with a fresh MF as there were few hazy spots left. The MF seemed to load up with too much product and left some smears... afte the second wipe down it looked great.

The only thing left is to see real world durability, if this can compare to Jeff Werksat AJ or Collinite 845 I will probably use this on all customer cars from now on...

Pros:

Very easy to apply and remove, looks good, short curing times.

Cons:

Too runny for my tastes, I lost some product when I tilted the bottle slightly while working the roof, more comes out of the bottle than I needed most times when putting some on the applicator, also the slight hazing was a little annoying.

I tried it out a few days ago on my test vehicle ( girlfriend's blazer lol). i asked around a little before using it, to see if there were any tips/tricks. one detailer informed me that he will apply wd to the entire surface, and let it cure while he vacuums the interior, or polishes exhaust tips, etc. he told me he let it cure for 30-45 minutes before removing.

i took his advice, and let the sealant cure for 45 minutes before buffing off. came off very easily, with minimal streaking.

i agree that it is very "liquidy", and you have to be very careful not to put too much on the app. it comes out very fast. but nothing transferring to another bottle wouldn.t cure.

i.m very impressed with it so far.

I'm going to let it cure for much longer next time.... think it will fix the streaking entirely.

What did you think of the looks Pete?

flake pop like crazy. very wet looking. looks amazing on it.s own, and i want to see what a second coat does to it. if one has a metallic paint, this is your sealant.

i bet topping with a looks wax (like lusso oro, or a dodo juice soft wax) would really make it pop.

i.m almost tempted to get the bf midnight sun wax to top it with. but i.d have to get rid of one of the many waxes i own to justify it.

You never have to justify buying more detailing stuff... it's all necessary for the addiction...

That's ballin. Mine are in a spare bedroom, with the heater turned off to that room.

Thank you both for posting some great feedback on the product, hopefully it helps others as well. I do recommend letting it cure for at least 15 - 20 minutes before removing the excess product. Additionally I find it spreads very thin so try not to use too much product, it doesn't help the results and it makes removal more difficult. I use less than one ounce per coat in most cases. I also recommend pouring it in a DI Accessories Dispenser Bottles to help monitor your usage. It also slips right in your pocket so you can work faster.

Thanks again!

Greg @ DI

Thank you Greg!

That was an amazing sale...

I really like the applicator you include with it... I think I am going to move towards using a much smaller applicator for all my waxes and sealants from now on...

Members online

Back